List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FAIRFIELD MORAVIAN CHURCH

List entry Number: 1067981

Location

15A, 28 AND 30, FAIRFIELD SQUARE
FAIRFIELD MORAVIAN CHURCH, FAIRFIELD SQUARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
TamesideMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 212732

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DROYLSDEN FAIRFIELD SQUARE SJ 99 NW

4/76 Nos. 15A, 28 and 30 and Fairfield 17/11/66 Moravian Church

G.V. II*

Church, house and manse (No. 28). c.1785. Header bond brick with slate roof. 8-bay gallery-plan church with cross-axial entrance flanked on either side by lower 3-bay 2-storey houses with central-entrance plans. Stone plinth and eaves cornice. The church has a giant pediment over the central 4 bays which are slightly advanced. Central door with stone surround and flat hood and 2 doors with eared architraves and pediments. Tall windows in the central. 4 bays are enlargements (probably of 1908) of the smaller original windows which had stone sills and cambered brick arches and still exist in the outer bays. Marginal glazing bars with circular heads. Hipped roof with central bell and clock cupola. The symmetrical house elevations step back from the church and are virtually identical to each other. Stone steps lead to 6-panel doors with eared architrave surrounds and pediments. Each has 2 ground floor and 3 first floor windows with stone sills, flat brick arches and 4-pane sashes. No. 15A is entered through the right gable-end of No. 30. Interior: virtually all internal features date from a refitting of 1908. West gallery on slender Ionic cast-iron columns. Timber glazed screens. Central pulpit in front of an organ recess which is flanked by paired Ionic pilasters and pedimented vestry doors. Timber pews and panelling. The group forms the centrepiece of the Fairfield Moravian Settlement which is the largest as well as the earliest of its kind to be established in England. The doctrinal emphasis on Christian brotherhood and community living led to the establishment of the self-contained village by Benjamin Latrobe. It was planned around a square, with the church facing south over an avenue of trees, graveyards and gardens. J. Aikin, A description of the country from thirty to forty miles round Manchester, 1795. F.H. Mellows, A short history of Fairfield Moravian Church, 1977.

Listing NGR: SJ9016197617

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Aikin, J , A Description of the Country from Thirty to Forty Miles round Manchester, (1795)
Mellows, F H, A Short History of Fairfield Moravian Church, (1977)

National Grid Reference: SJ 90161 97617

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 06:20:25.