List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

List entry Number: 1067971

Location

CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, STOCKPORT ROAD
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, TOWN LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
TamesideMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 212709

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DENTON TOWN LANE SJ 99 NW (north side)

4/53 Church of 27/11/67 St. Lawrence

G.V. II*

Church. Nave c.1530, chancel and transepts 1872 by J. Medland and Henry Taylor. Timber-framed structure which was weather-boarded on the south and rendered over on the north side in 1862 but painted to retain its character. Graduated stone slate roof. Cruxiform plan with west gallery and bellcote. 4-bay nave has stone plinth, coved eaves and 3 or 5-light mullioned windows in each bay. Central west door with blocked window above. The chancel, under a continuous roof, and the transepts, under parallel roofs, continue in the same style but with more elaboration to the east end which has foiled openings, rosettes on the barge boards and a 5-light east window. The bellcote has a pyramidal roof and has been restored to reveal the decorative framing. Interior: 6 structural bays of the timber-framed structure remain. The shaped posts and curved braces support tie-beam roof trusses which have inclined struts, purlins with cusped bracing and a ceiling at collar level. Between the posts the framing is concealed by plaster or removed completely where transepts and chancel adjoin. West gallery supported on C19 cast-iron columns. Early C18 baluster font. Pews 1859. Part of former wardens pew of C17 and C18 preserved beneath gallery. Other carved timberwork of C19 and C20 dates. The windows incorporate fragmentary early C16 glass from former east window. Edward Holland memorial, 1655 - oval inscription plate between short columns supporting scrolls and the coat of arms. Dame Mary Asheton memorial wall tablet, 1721. The building is an important early survival of a timber-framed church. J. Booker, A History of the ancient chapel of Denton.

Listing NGR: SJ9264095055

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Booker, J , A History of the Ancient Chapel of Denton

National Grid Reference: SJ 92640 95055

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 08:01:48.