List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

List entry Number: 1067893

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
TraffordMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 212919

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 79 SE SALE CHURCH LANE (west side)

3/160 Church of Saint 11.11.66 Martin

G.V. II*

Church. 1714 for Joshua Allen with baptistery of 1874 by W.H. Brakspear and tower of 1887 by George Truefitt for Sir Williams Cunliffe Brooks. Ashlar and timber framing with graduated slate and clay tile roofs. Wide nave with west gallery, south porch, north baptistery and chancel with adjoining tower and vestry to south, organ chamber to north. 4-bay nave with porch (largely of 1887) in bay 1 in the same style as the tower top. The other bays have 3-light chamfered mullion windows with semi-circular heads in a C17 manner. The bold square tower has a projecting plinth, 3 casement windows at low level, datestone and a timber-framed clock stage, most of the panels being open. It has a clock face, gables on each side with moulded barge boards and is crowned by an elaborate weather-vane. The east and west windows are of 4 and 5 lights with intersecting tracery. The octagonal baptistery with pyramidal roof is in a more conventional post-Puginian Victorian Gothic style. There is a series of headstones attached to the south wall dating from 1644. Interior: chancel panelled with box pew ends. Double hammer beam roof with convex curved wind braces, probably of 1714. C16 octagonal front wrongly inscribed 1304, on C20 shaft. C18 baluster-type font. Studded batten door from former church (probably 1304). There has been a church on the site since 850 AD and the site was a Saxon burial ground. R. Richards, Old Cheshire Churches, 1973.

Listing NGR: SJ7723892993

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Richards, R, Old Cheshire Churches, (1973)

National Grid Reference: SJ 77238 92993

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 09:02:03.