List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1067876

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
TraffordMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Jun-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 212985

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for

URMSTON CHURCH ROAD (South side) 4/23 Church of St Michael

The address shall be amended to read

URMSTON CHURCH ROAD (Flixton) (South side) Church of St Michael

------------------------------------

URMSTON CHURCH ROAD SJ 79 SW (south side) (SJ 7493 NE) 4/23 Church of 29/6/66 St. Michael G.V. II* Church. Part of chancel C15, nave and aisles 1756, chancel rebuilt 1815, tower rebuilt and restored in 1731, 1824 and 1888, vestry C19. Ashlar with slate roof. Nave and chancel under continuous roof, pitched roofs to aisles and a central west tower. 5-bay south aisle and 3-bay north aisle with projecting plinth, round-arched windows with impost capitals and keystones, rusticated quoin strips and eaves cornice. South porch with gable pediment on attached columns. The chancel has a 3-light east window with cusped Y-tracery and weathered diagonal buttresses, both features which are repeated in the C19 vestry. Castellated 3-stage tower with round-arched west door, 3-light west window, broken pediment above 1731 plaque, 3-light round-arched belfry openings with hoodmoulds and keystones and finials above the castellations. Interior: 3-bay nave arcade with round arches on Tuscan columns. King-post roof trusses. Carved stone font, pulpit and reredos. Brass plaque to Richard Radcliffe of 1602, also early C19 wall plaques. Stained glass. Timber pews. R. Richards, Old Cheshire Churches, 1947.

Listing NGR: SJ7472993965

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Richards, R, Old Cheshire Churches, (1947)

National Grid Reference: SJ 74729 93965

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 04:27:11.