List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

List entry Number: 1067868

Location

CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, MANCHESTER ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
TraffordMetropolitan AuthorityCarrington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Mar-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 212960

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CARRINGTON

1482/4/3 MANCHESTER ROAD 05-MAR-59 (South side) CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

II* Church, originally a chapel of ease. 1757-9, with minor later alterations. By Isaac Shaw. Flemish bond brick with graduated stone slate roof. 4 x 2 bays with west gallery and small chancel. Each bay has a round-arched window with impost blocks, keystone and leaded lights. All the windows except for that to E retain their original oak frames and their original glazing in the upper halves of the lights. The elliptical-arched door has a rusticated stone surround and the original oak-boarded entrance doors retain their iron strap hinges. 2 west windows blocked when gallery inserted in 1829. The chancel has a Venetian window and a hipped roof. A small turret with cupola on the west end was removed in 1987. INTERIOR: Nearly all of the original box pews survive, complete with painted numerals and four brass owner's plates, two dated 1759. The coved ceiling has a plasterwork central rose consisting of radiating rococo fronds. Font based on a marble wash bowl. Original communion rails and dado panelling to the chancel. West gallery added in 1829 is carried on two slender iron columns and retains its original seating. The two west windows were blocked as part of this alteration. Wooden reredos of c1872 and stained glass to E window. Original pulpit. Reading desk slightly altered. Original floor of stone flags in the alleys and elm boards under the pews. HISTORICAL NOTE: The church was built at the expense of Mary, Countess of Warrington and Stamford, of Dunham Massey, as a chapel of ease to Bowdon. It received a separate parish in 1887. SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: This church, which is in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust, is outstanding as a remarkably little altered mid C18 small church which retains so many of its original fittings intact.

Sources Council for the Care of Churches Report 1988 Richards, R, Old Cheshire Churches, Revised Edition, 1973.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 72795 92666

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2014 at 01:07:45.