List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1067622

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityBrington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360047

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP6665 BRINGTON GREAT BRINGTON

20/59 Church of St. Mary 02/11/54 4 - I

Church. Late C13 to C19. Coursed squared lias with ashlar dressings and lead roof. Chancel and north chapel, largely rebuilt for John Spencer 1522 and restored by Blore 1846. South side, three 3-light Perpendicular windows, chancel and north chapel of equal length with identical Perpendicular, 5-light east windows with 4-centred heads. North chapel has polygonal projection with single-light windows, 1846 by Rev. H. Rose. Ashlar parapet and shallow gabled roofs to both chapels, not visible. South aisle, mid C14, three 3-light windows with reticulated tracery similar west window, ashlar parapet, single pitched roof. Arched and gabled tomb recess between second and third window with dog-tooth moulding. Gabled porch datestone 1832 by Blore, between first and second windows. Gabled buttresses at corners with gargoyles. North aisle similar to south with 6-panelled north door. Nave clerestory of 6-window range on south and 3-window range on north, having 3-light windows with square heads. Several dated rainwater heads 1794 and 1827. West tower: 3 stages with string course. 2-stage angle buttresses, west door with 4-centred head: tall C14 three light windows immediately above with panel tracery. Plain 2-light windows to each face of third stage. Castellated parapet with corbelled table. Interior: 6-bay C14 arcade with octagonal piers and double chamfered arches: South taller with concave sides to piers, stained glass: east window by Morris and Co. 1912. South window of chancel has remains of glass c1532. North chapel C19 glass by Ward. Pews c.1846 with poppy heads incorporating C15 work, font, circular, of Purbeck marble, C13 base. Monuments: Inscribed tablets to Robert Washington 1622 and Laurence Washington 1616 in nave and chancel respectively. Spencer monuments in north chapel: south east of chapel Sir John Spencer died 1522 and wife: effigies on tomb chest beneath canopy decorated with shields, quatrefoils and an angel. Sir John Spencer died 1586 and wife, west of previous: by Jasper Hollemans. Recumbent effigies on tomb chest and round arch, decorated with shields and obelisks with pediment over. Robert first Baron Spencer and wife errected 1599 by Hollemans: west of the previous. Effigies on painted sarcophagus, he in armour, she with heraldic coverlet. Depressed arch over supported on Corinthian columns. Obelisks and pendants above. Sir William Spencer died 1532 below east window, plain tomb chest with quatrefoils. Sir John Spencer died 1599 and wife, north east corner, by Hollemans; effigies under canopy, decorated with obelisks and strapwork, supported by black columns with corinthian capitals. William Lord Spencer, erected 1638 by Nicholas Stone, effigies on tomb chest with canopy over in black and white marble. Sir Edward Spencer 1655; south-east corner by John Stone, demi-figure rising from urn. John Spencer 1783, by Nollekens, west of bay window is white marble tablet, female figure with male profile in clouds. Other C19 monuments, coronets and hatchments relating to the Spencer family. The whole chapel is enclosed by railing with spikes. The Spencer chapel is scheduled as an Ancient Monument. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.229)

Listing NGR: SP6672165219

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 229

National Grid Reference: SP 66721 65219

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 02:08:33.