List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1067510

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHORLEY ROAD
CHURCH OF ST PETER, PARTINGTON LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SalfordMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Mar-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 211960

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SWINTON & PENDLEBURY CHORLEY ROAD SD 70 SE (south side) 2/6 Church of 30/3/66 St. Peter G.V. II*

Church. 1869. By G.E.Street for Rev. H. R. Heywood. Rock- faced stone with slate roof. Nave, aisles, west tower and chancel with flanking side chapels and vestrys. Gothic revival, 5-bay nave with projecting plinth and weathered buttresses. Each bay has a 3-light window with Geometrical tracery and continuous sill band all below a blind arch. Aisles have pitched roofs; no clerestory. The chancel with its 5-light east window is flanked by gabled side chapels with 3-light windows. A double-gabled vestry with transverse roofs adjoins to north. The steeply pitched roofs have diamond patterns in green, blue and grey slates. The gables are coped and have cross finials. Unbuttressed 3-stage tower with corner octagonal stair turret which rises above the castellated parapet like a gableted pinnacle and has grotesque heads at the lower stage. 4-light west window below clock faces and 2-light belfry openings which are flanked by blind recesses. Corner pinnacles. Interior: double-chamfered nave arcade on clustered columns which have naturalistic capitals carved by Earp. Impressive rafter roof to nave; barrel roof to chancel. 2-bay chancel separated from side chapels by elegant wrought-iron screens. Polychromatic inlaid masonry Gothic panelling to reredos and chancel which has Minton floor tiles and a sedilia and piscina. Font and pulpit in stone with fleuron motif enrichment. Unusual cast-iron font cover. Timber pews, stalls, organ chamber etc. A stone at the base of the tower records the death of the architect in 1881. Stained glass by both Kempe and Morris and Co. The building is an accomplished piece of design by one of the leading Victorian architects. Whilst showing restraint in detailing, it expresses many of the ideals of high Victorian church design.

Listing NGR: SD7745501745

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 77455 01745

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2014 at 06:16:05.