List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1067326

Location

CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BoltonMetropolitan AuthorityHorwich

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 210505

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HORWICH CHURCH STREET SD 61 SW (north side)

3/24 Church of Holy 24/11/66 Trinity

G.V. II

Church. 1830-1. By F. Bedford. Chancel, 1903, by R. Knill Freeman. Stone with slate roof. 4-bay nave continued as porches flanking west tower; chancel with south organ loft. Nave has Y-tracery windows between buttresses and crocked pinnacles; cornice and parapet. Porches have north and south entrances below windows, with label moulds. Tower has octagonal turrets becoming angle buttresses above roof level. 2 raised bands with cusping below. 4-centred entrance with tracery band over and blind lancet above. Kneeling camel crest of Ridgway family, 4-face clock and Y- tracery louvred bell openings. Open-traceried embattled parapet. Flanking porches have stepped lancets, the innermost the tallest. Ornate iron railings to basement access. Chancel is shallow, with 4-light traceried window over 3 panels of memorial slabs, the earliest dated 1952. Organ loft has 3-light double-chamfered-mullioned window and entrance. 2 stones against south side of nave bear Ridgway arms and crest, possibly from original east end. Interior: nave has chamfered diagonal piers supporting 3 galleries and plaster rib vaults. Monument to Joseph Ridgway died 1842, by R. Westmacott, free standing monument with robed woman kneeling at prie dieu. Other memorials and hatchments. South aisle stained glass window of 1874. Chancel east window of 1927 but earlier decorative glass and Ridgway arms in tracery head. Reredos with cresting and canopy, 1923. At west end of nave an original box pew. In gallery is board recording payments to church officials in 1854 and pumping handle to organ. The church was financed largely by the Ridgway family.

Listing NGR: SD6444211538

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 64442 11538

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 05:31:08.