List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR

List entry Number: 1067295

Location

CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR, FOLD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BoltonMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 31-May-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 210517

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KEARSLEY FOLD ROAD SD 70 NE (east side) Ringley

10/36 Church of 31/5/66 St. Saviour

G.V. II

Church. 1850-4. By Sharpe and Paley. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings; stone slate roof. Nave with aisles under lean-to roofs, chancel with south vestry. 5-bay nave has aisle windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights under multifoils; single-chamfered tracery. Clerestory has quatrefoil windows. North aisle has porch with segmental- pointed entrance; window to right of 3 pointed lights with uncarved corbels. West end has entrance under 3 tall 2- light traceried windows. To right an octagonal turret with gabled buttress; top stage has angle shafts and lancet openings, cornice and slate spire. Gabled buttress to left. 2-light plate tracery aisle windows. Entrance hood stops and buttress corbels are uncarved. Chancel has diagonal buttresses flanking stepped triple lancets; 3 lancets to north. Vestry has 2 lights and keyed roundel, the keys with letters AMDG, and entrance with shouldered lintel to east; straight-headed windows to south and west. Interior 5-bay nave arcades on round columns. Braced collar roof. Round font on chustered shafts. Arms of Charles I, dated 1637, above entrance. Wall memorials to Ellis Fletcher, died 1836 and Matthew Fletcher, died 1808, both have figure by urn on plinth with profile portrait. Chancel arch on corbelled shafts. Octagonal pulpit on shaft; symbols of evangelists. Rood on beam, 1928, has crucifixion and flanking figures. organ loft to south. East end has alabaster arcading with mosaic panels and ceramic tile figures, double piscina to north and 3 sedilia to south. Good C19 stained glass to east, C17 armorial glass to north. 2 early C19 wall memorials.

Listing NGR: SD7644105275

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 76441 05275

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 02:31:36.