List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RADCLIFFE CENOTAPH

List entry Number: 1067192

Location

RADCLIFFE CENOTAPH, BLACKBURN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BuryMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Mar-1992

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 210777

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added:

SD 7807 RADCLIFFE BLACKBURN STREET

326-0/7/10003 Radcliffe Cenotaph II*

Cenotaph. 1922, by Sydney Marsh of Marsh Bros, Farnborough, Kent; site designed by A. Baines Barker of London; stonework executed by F.M. & H Nuttall Ltd of Whitefield. Darley Dale sandstone with bronze statuary. Obelisk set on a square raised terrace with surrounding walls and steps. The monument has a square base of 7 steps, a cruciform pedestal, and an obelisk which rises to 35 feet above street level. The 4 main faces of the pedestal have large square bronze panels containing in relief 642 names of the fallen of 1914-1918; the narrow re-entrant sides have matching rectangular panels of names headed 1939-1945. The front of the obelisk has a sword with a laurel wreath round the handle; its base is surrounded by statuary on three sides, and a bronze cartouche at the rear with "TO OUR/ GLORIOUS / DEAD / 1914-1918" in raised lettering, and the Radcliffe coat of arms in the crest. The statues, three large winged female figures modelled in energetically flowing style, are emblematic of Liberty, Victory and Peace: Victory, standing in the centre, holds Liberty by one hand and in the other exultantly holds up the laurel emblem of conquest; Liberty to the left breaks free, raising a flaming torch; and peace to the right reclines on one leg, with roses of remembrance in her lap, listening to the message of a dove perched on her shoulder. The terrace is approached by a flight of 4 broad steps from Blackburn Street, and enclosed by ashlar walls which have tall bronze open-work lamp standards at the corners. To each side is a simple rectangular garden surrounded by a low plinth with square piers at intervals, linked by chains.

Listing NGR: SD7837107362

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 78371 07362

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 01:24:00.