List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HOULDSWORTH MILL

List entry Number: 1067171

Location

HOULDSWORTH MILL, HOULDSWORTH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
StockportMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Mar-1975

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 210821

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ8993 HOULDSWORTH STREET, Reddish 701-0/13/102 (West Side) 10/03/75 Houldsworth Mill

GV II*

Cotton spinning mill. 1865 with early C20 additions. By AH Stott of Oldham. For Henry Houldsworth. Red brick, slate roofs. A symmetrical double mill, two 4-storey blocks of 18 bays separated by the narrower 5-storey 9-bay central block with large clock and date plaque on parapet and flanking stair towers. Single-storey ranges front the spinning mills. In a flamboyant Italianate style with pilasters rising between windows, the top storey windows round-arched and towers having key-pattern brickwork, deep bracketed eaves, pyramid roofs. The mills are approximately 12 bays deep; tall octagonal stack with corbelled crown and original engine house to rear, centre. INTERIOR: fireproof construction composed of transverse brick vaults supported by cast-iron columns and beams. The central block housed warehouse, offices and main entrance; the flanking spinning mills housed preparation on ground floor and long spinning mules above, a total of 130,000 spindles in rooms 35m wide. Powered processes also in the attic storeys, lit by full-length glass panels in the mansard roof, probably early C20. The original engine house had horizontal shafts driving the main upright shafts in the end towers. The spinning blocks were re-equipped C20, when new engine houses were built for separate inverted-compound engines and external rope races replaced the upright shafts. Other C20 additions include enclosed staircase at S end, covered loading shaft on N end, 5-storey block attached to NW. HISTORY: Henry Houldsworth was a spinner in Little Lever Street, Manchester who installed a steam engine in 1796. He moved to Glasgow in partnership with his brothers and by 1816 the firm employed 622 people, (Fit ton, p.148) .The builder of this mill was the nephew of the founder of the firm. An outstanding example of a mill designed as the centrepiece of a model community; the quality of composition, reflecting the different uses of the complex, show that the architectural form was of primary significance. The firm of Abraham, Stott was one of the most important mill designers of the period. (Fit ton RS: The Arkwrights, Spinners of Fortune: Manchester: 1989-: 148)



Listing NGR: SJ8907393324

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Fitton, R S , The Arkwrights Spinners of Fortune, (1989), 148

National Grid Reference: SJ 89073 93324

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 02:06:28.