List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1067105

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, VIOLET LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityCreaton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360130

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP77SW CREATON VIOLET LANE (South side) Church of St. Michael 4/141 02/11/54 - II*

Church. Late C12, C13, C19. Squared coursed lias with lead roof. Nave, South aisle, Chancel and West tower. Chancel, plain with string courses and clasped buttresses at corners. C19 east window with panel tracery. Organ chamber projection to north c.1888 with C13 lancet has centre transom with quatrefoil window above, both reset. Gabled roof with plain parapets and finial at apex. Clasped buttresses at north west corner. Nave similar with 2-light reticulated window on north side. North porch with late C12 door opening has single shafts with water leaf capital and steeply pointed arch. Gabled roof with ashlar moulded parapet. South aisle added in 1856, 3-window range of 2-light windows with reticulated tracery. Clasped buttresses at corners. East window, round with trefoiled tracery. West tower: 4 unequal stages. Clasped buttresses. 2-light window with retriculated tracery to each face of third stage. Plain parapet with short pinnacles. Interior: Nave has 3-bay arcade with double chamfered arches and octagonal piers, dating from 1856 extension. C14 triple chamfered tower arch. C19 painted alter with triptych reredos flanked by C19 wall painting of St. Peter and St. Paul. Stained glass - C19 to east window and 2 south aisle windows, remnant of early stained glass in north nave window. Jacobean panelled pulpit also rail with turned balusters to belfy, probably originally a communion rail. C19 chancel screen. Monuments: Plain marble tablet 1849 to Rev. McCormick and late C19 tablet to Crow family both in chancel. (Buildings of England : Northamptonshire p.232).

Listing NGR: SP7063271847

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 232

National Grid Reference: SP 70632 71847

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2014 at 02:59:59.