List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH

List entry Number: 1067098

Location

CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityChurch with Chapel Brampton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360108

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP7165 CHURCH BRAMPTON CHURCH BRAMPTON

21/119 Church of St. Botolph 02/11/54 - II*

Church. C14 with C19 additions. Squared coursed lias with ashlar dressings and slate and lead roof. Aisled nave, chancel and west tower. Chancel C19 south elevation has two 2-light windows with reticulated tracery. Moulded stone eaves gutter with gargoyle. Gabled roof with ashlar gable parapets, kneelers and finial. East window, 3-light with reticulated tracery, north aisle similar with gabled projection. South aisle C14, 3-window range of 3-light windows with reticulated tracery, similar east and west windows. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapets. Porch between windows 1 and 2 from right. West tower of 3 stages. 2-light window in first stage with quatrefoil tracery. 2-light window to each face of third stage. Crenellated parapet with crocketted pinnacles at corners. Interior: Nave has 4-bay double chamfered arcade with octagonal piers. Double chamfered chancel arch and chamfered tower arch. Nave roof reputed c.1802, chancel roof late C19. Stained glass in east window and north aisle window by C. Parish from drawing by Professor Erckhart of Dresden. Other north aisle window by John Poyntz, fragment of medieval glass in centre window of north aisle. Tablet over south door dated 1675. (Buildings of England : Northamptonshire, p.149).

Listing NGR: SP7180465712

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 149

National Grid Reference: SP 71804 65712

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 03:51:31.