List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ETHELREDA

List entry Number: 1067072

Location

CHURCH OF ST ETHELREDA, COTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityGuilsborough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360146

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP76SE GUILSBOROUGH COTON ROAD

3/157 Church of St. Ethelreda 02/11/54 - II*

Church, C14, C17 and C19. Random coursed lias and limestone with ashlar dressings, and lead roof. Aisled nave. Chancel and west tower. Chancel, south elevation 2-window range of two 2-light square headed windows, north elevation similar. East window, 3-light with reticulated tracery shallow gabled roof with ashlar parapet. South aisle, 2-window range of 3-light square-headed windows with similar east and west windows. Porch between windows with 4-centred arched doorway probably C19. Ribbed and studded door. North aisle similar with north porch, both with ashlar parapets. The windows generally have been restored C19. Nave clerestory of 4-window range of single-light windows with flat arch heads possibly from C17 restoration. Shallow-pitched roof with ashlar parapet. West tower of 3 stages with angle 3-stage buttresses in first 2 stages. Double lancet C14 bell chamber openings on each face of third stage. Broach spire dated 1618 of limestone ashlar 2 stages of lucarnes on each facade. Interior: Ribbed and boarded ceiling to chancel with carved bosses. Hollow double chamfered chancel arch with fleurons in the capitals. 4 bay nave arcade of double-chamfered arches supported on octagonal piers, carved animal heads at the spanning of each arch. North clerestory windows have quadripartite glazing bars. C19 king-post roof retaining the tie beams of an earlier roof with carved bosses and corbels representing the 7 Ages of Man. Stained glass: All chancel windows by Morris and Burne-Jones. South aisle east and south-east window by Morris and Co and north aisle east window by Burlison and Grylls 1894. Reredos and panelling to chancel, gothic motifs of 1846. Pews 1815, some box pews in north aisle. (Buildings of England : Northamptonshire 1973 p.243).

Listing NGR: SP6760672681

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973 - Page References: 243

National Grid Reference: SP 67606 72681

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 02:43:52.