List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE

List entry Number: 1067038

Location

CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityDraughton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360279

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DRAUGHT0N SP77NE 7/26 Church of St. Catherine 02/11/54

- II*

Church. Late C12, C13 and C19. Coursed lias rubble with limestone ashlar dressings with plain tile roof to chancel, porch and vestry and lead roof to nave and aisles. Aisled nave, chancel and west tower. Chancel remodelled c.1885. South elevation of 3-window range has two 2-light windows with reticulated tracery with single lancet between, probably reset. Fragments of masonry from earlier openings built into wall below windows. C19 three-light east window has reticulated tracery with roundel. North elevation similar with one 2-light window. Gabled roof with ashlar parapets and finial. South aisle of 2-window range with single lancet to left and 2-light square headed window to right. Similar 3-light east window. 2-light west window with plate tracery lean-to roof. C14 gabled porch to left has double chamfered arch. North aisle of 2-window range of one and 2-light square headed windows set in deep splays; lean-to roof. North vestry projection has 3-light C18 window with Gothic tracery; originally the east window this was reset in C19. Gabled roof with ashlar parapets and twin stone stacks at apex. West tower, late C12 of 3 stages with large 2-stage clasped buttresses at western corner. Single lancet to first and second stage. Simple 2-light bell chamber openings to 3 faces of third stage. Plain parapet. Third stage banded with ashlar and probably restored in C17. Interior: Chancel has C19 single arcade to vestry. C13 double chamfered chancel arch. 3-bay nave arcade of C13 double chamfered arches with octagonal piers, those to the south having nailhead decoration to the capitals. Late C12 pointed tower arch with nailhead decoration to capitals. Roofs C19. Stained glass, east window by C.E. Moore 1933, has baluster with serpent winding round the stem. Monument, to Maunselns Courtman 1704 to left of altar is tablet with scull and cross bones above. Plain tablet to Adams family 1778 to south of chancel. Hatchment and painted inscription with The Lords Prayer and Creed above tower arch. Similar painted panel relating to will of Mary Chapman 1826 in north aisle. Inscribed metal plate to Mary AdaAs 1775 in nave floor. Carved bench ends with foliated gothic tracery probably C16. Double pew with canopy to rear of nave. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.188).

Listing NGR: SP7619276814

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973 - Page References: 188

National Grid Reference: SP 76192 76814

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Sep-2014 at 07:36:55.