List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1067030

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityArthingworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360258

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ARTHINGWORTH SP78SE 4/5 Church of St. Andrew 02/11/54 - II*

Church. C12, C14 and C19. Squared coursed and ashlar limestone with slate roof. Aisled nave and chancel and west tower. Chancel is a C19 reconstruction with one 2-light window to south and 2 similar to north with reticulated tracery. 3-light east window has roundel with cusping. Chancel has C15 aisle to south of 2-window range, one blocked, the others of 3 lights with 4-centred head, similar east aisle under lean-to roof with ashlar moulded parapets. South aisle to nave is mainly C19 reconstruction of three 2-light windows with square heads. Lean-to roof. C19 gabled porch between windows 1 and 2 from left. North elevation of nave of 2-window range has one 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery to left and one C19 2-light window to right. 3 large 3-stage buttresses between each window. 4 C19 small quatrefoil windows at clerestory level. West tower of ashlar is of 4 stages with set back buttresses. West door has 3-light Perpendicular window above. Fourth stage has pair of 2-light bell chamber openings, with rounded heads both under one large ogee arch. The openings have transoms with cusping below. Frieze of cusped lozenges above. Castellated parapet with truncated square pinnacles at corners. Interior. Chancel has 2-bay arcade of double chamfered arches with octagonal pier and corbelled brackets. C19 chancel arch with foliated corbelled brackets. Double chamfered arch to south chancel aisle. 3-bay nave arcade of late C12 single chamfered pointed arches with one original circular pier to east with scolloped capital and square abacus. Other pier is probably C19 copy. Double chamfered tower arch has been blocked. C19 roof with large foliated stone corbels. C19 stained glass to east window. C19 circular font on marble column. C19 painted reredos behind altar. Monument in south chancel aisle to Mrs. Jekyll died 1775. White and grey marble oval medallion on obelisk, has angel with quill and garlands, signed by Van Gelder. Tablet to James Scott died 1753, to right, has broken pediment over. Plain tablet to Rokeby Scott died 1767 to left. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.89).

Listing NGR: SP7547381421

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 89

National Grid Reference: SP 75473 81421

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 08:56:03.