List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: KELMARSH HALL

List entry Number: 1067012

Location

KELMARSH HALL, HARBOROUGH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityKelmarsh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360317

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KELMARSH HARBOROUGH ROAD SP77NN (West side) 6/64 Kelmarsh Hall 02/11/54

- I

Country House. c.1727-32. By James Gibbs for William Hanbury, altered 1956 by Sir Albert Richardson. Red brick with ashlar dressings. Double pile plan with linked pavil ions. Main facade: Centre of 2 storeys with basement and attic, 7-window range, centre 3 bays breaking forward with rectangular pediment over. Wide flight of steps up to central double doors under fanlight with glazing bars in geometrical pattern. Ashlar doorcase has attached fluted Corinthian columns supporting a plain entablature with segmental pediment over. Tall sash windows at first floor reducing at first floor; all with glazing bars and moulded stone architraves. Those at ground floor have eared architraves with alternate segmental and triangular pediments over. Continuous ashlar cornice with a brick parapet above flanking bays. The centre sections of the parapets are replaced with balustrading. Mansard roof has dormers behind the parapet and brick stacks at the ridge. The centre is linked to the flanking pavilions by single-storey quadrants having central doors with pediments over flanked by sash windows with gauged brick heads. Glazing bars to the right pavilion ground floor right are original C18. Ashlar pilasters between each, opening each surmounted by a ball finial with a plain parapet and cornice below. The pavilions are of 2 storeys with attic. Each of 5-window range. The central entrances have moulded stone architraves with pediments over. Sash windows, reducing at first floor have glazing bars and gauged brick heads. Ashlar cornices with brick parapets over. Gambrel roofs; the right pavilion having brick stacks at the ridge. The inside return elevations of the pavillions are similar. Garden facade similar of 7-window range with centre 3 bays breaking forward with open retangular pediment over. Tall sashes with glazing bars at ground floor, reducing at first floor with alternate segmental and triangular pediemnts over. The centre sash has a broad flight of stone steps. There is an armorial crest in the centre of the pediment. Single storey, 4-bay extension to left is C19 ballroom. End 3 bays breaking forward; all in a similar style to the main house. Facade to right reconstructed in 1956 by Sir Albert Richardson to James Gibbs' original design; when Victorian extensions removed. Stabling and walls attached to rear of left pavillion. Interior: Entrance hall, centre of main front, double height, has 3-bay arcade on rear wall with 3 sash windows to first floor corridor above. Panelled plasterwork to ceiling and restrained swags to walls, reputedly by James Wyatt. 2 black im itation marble bolection moulded fire surrounds. Dining Room to right of entrance has semi-circular recess at end with Adam style ceiling decoration. Chinese Room to left of entrance has C18 surround. Drawing Room, centre of west front, double height. Plaster roundels, in inner section and plaster frieze with cherubs; probably by James Wyatt. Moulded wood doorcases. The Yellow Room and the Library to right and left of the Drawing Room C18 style fireplaces and bookcases probably installed during early C20 remodelling. Staircase between the Chinese Room and Library has half landing and fine C18 wrought iron balustrade in lyre shaped units. The walls and ceiling have fine plasterwork panel decoration. The Ballroom to the right of the Yellow Room is C19 was probably remodelled early C20. Several first-floor rooms have C18 marble fire surrounds. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.271; Country Life February 25th 1933, p.198-203).

Listing NGR: SP7363179602

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 271
'Country Life' in 25 February, (1933), 198-203

National Grid Reference: SP 73631 79602

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 04:52:02.