List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PREBENDAL MANOR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1065975

Location

PREBENDAL MANOR HOUSE, 57, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireEast NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityNassington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Oct-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 422498

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NASSINGTON CHURCH STREET TL0696 (South side) 16/178 No.57 (Prebendal Manor House) 23/05/67 (Formerly listed as Prebendal Manor Farmhouse) GV I Prebendal Manor house. C13 on site of Saxon hall; remodelled C15, service wing late C15/early C16, hall subdivided horizontally and vertically C17, remodelled 1730 and mid C19. Squared coursed limestone with ashlar dressings and stone slate roof. Originally hall with solar range to north, now demolished, and service range to south. 2 storeys. Entrance front of 4-window range of mid C19 sash windows under wood lintels. 2-window range, to right, breaks forward, and is the medieval hall. Bay to far right breaks forward slightly and has small square squints in the return, at ground and first floor levels. 2-window range, to left, is C17 and later. C15, central, gabled porch corresponds with entrance to screens passage. Outer doorway has cambered tie beam with carved boss and king post above. Flanking, reset, carved heads. C15 inner doorway with moulded surround and 4-centred arch-head. 2-stage buttress between windows, to right. Ashlar gable parapet between hall and service ranges. 3 stone stacks to ridge and end of hall range. Service range has hipped roof, to left, and lateral stone stack. Gable end, to right, has evidence of north range, demolished c.1800. C13 arch-head doorway, to far right, with jamb of similar opening abutting at right angles. Various blocked openings in this gable. Rear elevation, to garden, has 2-window range of hall, to left, and unequal gabled cross-wing of service range breaking forward to right. Hall windows are C13, 2-light with round heads and C15 cinquefoil headed lights. The left window is a C20 restoration. Single-stage buttress between windows. C13 doorway into screens passage, to right, has chamfered jambs, round head and moulded abaci. Above is a single-light window with moulded stone surround. Gable end of cross-wing has cross casement at first floor, with reset carved heads at cill, under wood lintel. Single light window, under wood lintel, below. Return wall has C19 casement, to first floor, and C20 door to ground floor; both under wood lintels. Elevation to right has some C19 windows. Interior: wall defining screens passage has 2 doorways, under wood lintels, and supports a plaster floor; thought to have been a minstrels gallery. The hall, now subdivided into 2 areas, has central stack with open fireplace and bressumer, porbably inserted C17. Large open fireplace at the north end, probably inserted C15. A C20 staircase, with gallery, now gives access to the first floor of the hall. Traces of wall painting to wall at foot of staircase. The jambs of the windows on the entrance front correspond with the jambs of the medieval openings. C15 four-bay roof structure was reconstructed C19. Trusses with tie beams, arched-braced collars, struts, now missing, and 2 tiers of butt purlins. Tie beams are double ogee moulded; with the exception of that above the screens passage which is chamfered on the passage side. To the left of the screens passage the kitchen incorporates the service range, probably subdivided C17. A cross wall, with datestone 1743, has 2 doorways to each floor, under common lintels. Open fireplace in kitchen has restored bressumer. First floor room above kitchen, bias ceiling with 3 cambered tie beams, probably inserted C16. 4 bay roof structure noted as having collars, clasped purlins, wind braces and cambered tie beams with curved struts; intermediate trusses have collars only. Rooms to west of kitchen are probably C16. A series of 3 doorways with eliptical heads lead progressively iron the hell range into this area. C19 staircase to right of this arrangement. Remains of garderobe against south wall. Large mass of masonry in south-west corner. First floor room, over this area has fireplace with square-head chamfered surround. C18 roof with collars and clasped purlins. Excavations below the hall floor have revealed post holes of a Saxon aisled hall and evidence of a central hearth. The Prebend of Nassington was established in Lincoln Cathedral in C12 and the endowment consisted of Nassington Church its land and tithes. The house was occupied by the Prebendary and his tenants until 1836 when the Prebend was dissolved. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: p310; VCH: Northamptonshire: Vol 2, p586; RCHM: An Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire: p121; Northemptonshire County Archaeological lUnit: Unpublished details of archaeological excavations)

Listing NGR: TL0629096126

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire - Date: 1984 - Page References: 121
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1961 - Page References: 310
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Ryland, W and Adkins, D and Sejeantson, R - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Northampton - Date: 1906 - Volume: 2 - Page References: 586

National Grid Reference: TL 06290 96126

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2014 at 03:02:08.