List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CARSHALTON HOUSE

List entry Number: 1065627

Location

CARSHALTON HOUSE, POUND STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthoritySuttonLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 16-Mar-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 206790

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

POUND STREET 1. 4430 (North-West Side) CARSHALTON Carshalton House TQ 2764 SE 20/160 16.3.54. II* 2. 1696-1713; Edward Carleton purchased property here in 1696; in 1713 Carshalton House was seized by the Crown to meet a revenue debt of £16,000 incurred by Edward Carleton and an inventory was made of the House and its contents; this inventory refers to 2 sets of 7 bedrooms and a "painted parlour" on the ground floor which are all features of the house today. In 1714, John Fellowes [Sir John Fellowes after 1719] Sub-Governor of the South Sea Company purchased the house. He added the 3rd storey to replace the former attic storey with dormers and the 4 bay loggia to the west of the south front and made various alterations to the interior; he was also responsible for commissioning the laying out of the grounds in landscape style together with the erection of ornamental buildings [see Water Tower and Hermitage or Grotto]. Exterior. South front of 3 storeys, brown brick with profuse red rubber brick dressings. 1-2-3-2-1 windows, the centre and ends projecting for full height with angle piers. Moulded plinth, moulded band at 1st floor level, heavy carved wood modillioned cornice over 1st floor, top floor with simple cornice and blocking course, hipped slate roof. Ground and 1st floor windows with recessed aprons; sash windows in recessed cased frames throughout. Central entrance with 7 splayed stone steps with moulded nosings and original wrought iron balustrades; wood doorcase circa 1760 with Corinthian columns and back pilasters, architrave, frieze, cornice and pediment. Rear elevation similar general character. East elevation similar but narrower; central doorcase, similar steps and rails. The doorcase (? late C17) with carved moulded surround, panelled pilasters, carved brackets, pulvinated frieze, and enriched and curved pediment with enriched tympanum. 4-bay loggia at west end of west front with late C19 1st floor addition. Interior. Entrance Hall at West end of house with Ionic wall columns and intersecting barrel vault, dating probably from occupancy of Sir John Fellowes. Library, centre of South front, with oak bolection moulded panelling and carved door heads. Oak Par1our, centre East side of house, with similar panelling, overmantel Gibbons style carving with coat of arms of Sir John Fellowes. Principal door of room with Ionic columns and pediment, rococo marble mantlepiece and rococo ceiling both of circa 1760. Painted Parlour, North of this, with bolection moulded panelling painted with landscapes by Robert Robertson. Blue Parlour, South of Entrance Hall, with elaborate decorations circa mid C18. Stair Hall to North of Entrance Hall with carved oak staircase. Panelling to bedrooms and gallery. Possible traces of the Manor House or Old Farm which occupied the site of Carshalton House before 1696 exist in a portion of flint and chalk walling recently found in one of the classroom walls.

Listing NGR: TQ2755164460

Selected Sources

  1. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 17 Greater London - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England

National Grid Reference: TQ 27551 64460

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Sep-2014 at 05:48:40.