List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARK

List entry Number: 1065551

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARK, BATTERSEA RISE SW11

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityWandsworthLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 206989

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BATTERSEA RISE SWll 1. 5033 TQ 2775 9/8 28.6.54 Church of St Mark II the Grade shall be amended to read Grade II* (star) and the description shall be amended to read as follows: Anglican church. 1872-4 by William White. Stock brick with red brick dressings and diaper over mass concrete core, tiled roof. Four-bay nave with north aisles, tower at south-west corner supporting wooden belfy and shingled broad-eaved broach spire; raised chancel and ambulatory over crypt. Gabled south porch leads into diminutive south transept. Internally, the four-bay nave arcade does not follow the pattern of the more regularly-spaced clerestorey above. Concrete piers with naturalistic stone-carved capitals by Harry Hems. Aisled windows, one with fragmentary stained glass, have marble sills. Chancel with apsidal sanctuary set within round brick piers of ambulatory. The spandrels of the ambulatory arcade gilded and painted with emblems. Tiled floor inset with panels by J R Clayton; choir stalls, pulpit and font (raised on tiled and stone stepped plinth) to White's designs. Altar on stone plinth behind low brass rails. At the east end the ambulatory descends to crypt, with octagonal brick piers and lierne brick vaults.

------------------------------------

BATTERSEA RISE SW11 1. 5033 Church of St Mark TQ 2775 9/8 28.6.54 II 2. 1873 to 76 William White. 13th Century Gothic-style. Yellow brick with red brick dressings and diaper. Tower at south-west, integral with west elevation, rises to corbelled upper stage supporting wooden belfry and shingled broad-eaved broach spire. Gabled south porch Interior: nave, north aisle, south transept, apsidal sanctuary with ambulatory. Sanctuary tiles by J R Clayton. Font of Devon marble.

Listing NGR: TQ2721475088

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 27214 75088

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 05:12:47.