List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LUKE

List entry Number: 1065521

Location

CHURCH OF ST LUKE, RAMSDEN ROAD SW12

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityWandsworthLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Apr-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 207114

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RAMSDEN ROAD SW12 1. 5033 Church of St Luke TQ 2874 13/8 II* 2. By F W Hunt 1883 in the manner of an Italian Romanesque basilica. The east wall of the nave is partly blocked by the apsidal chancel and the west wall similarly by the apsidal baptistery. The north-west entrance tower dominates the asymmetrical composition. The whole is of red brick with sparing stone dressings, tiled roofs and copper spire. On the baptistery 3 panels recessed between lesenes are pierced by triplets of lancets. Oversailing courses of alternate projecting headers decorate the upper margins of the panels and form an eaves cornice below the conical slate roof. The apse is similar but there are 5 panels and tripartite labels frame the lancets. The nave bays are articulated with panels pierced by single lancets, the chancel by a coupled lancet. The west end has a triplet of lancets, each in a triple- stepped arch and a smaller lancet in the gable the whole framed by lesenes and corbel tables. In the tower the door has a triple-stepped arch with foliated tympanum framing a Celtic cross. Lesenes and corbel table decorate the 2 lower stages, twin lancets and oversailing courses the third stage, tripartite arcades of coupled colonnettes the belfry. From within the richly machicolated parapet rises the square spire with gilt cross. The red brick interior has arcades with pointed arches springing from the stiffleaf capitals of the stone piers. The alabaster and marble pulpit (1890), chancel wall (1894) and lantern (1901) were by 4 White, the tester, sedilia,stalls and bishop's throne by Harry Hems, the apse mosaic and all glass by Powell. The metal electroliers (1903) are a striking feature. The south chapel was fitted by Martin Travers.

Listing NGR: TQ2817674205

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 28176 74205

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 07:56:58.