List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE KINGS HEAD PUBLIC HOUSE

List entry Number: 1065499

Location

THE KINGS HEAD PUBLIC HOUSE, UPPER TOOTING ROAD SW17

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityWandsworthLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Jul-1981

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 207161

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

UPPER TOOTING ROAD SW17 1. 5033 No 84 (The Kings Head public house) TQ 2772 16/9 24.7.81 II 2. 1896 by W M Brunton, a prolific designer of public houses. Perhaps his master- piece and his least altered interior. Florid symmetrical composition; brashness of detail typical of late 19th Century gin palace. Red brick with stucco ornamentation. Slate roof. Central portion 3 windows 3-storeys, steep hipped roof rising to a dome. Large decorated lucarne over second floor windows, bears inscription "The Kings Head". First floor 3 pairs of french windows open on to verandah with iron balustrade and ogee roof. Ground floor splayed bay with entrance to bar. Flanking portion each side 2-storeys plus mansard with pointed dormer behind balustrade. Wings each side 1 1/2-storeys, one window, ramped parapet pierced by a bull's-eye window on the left. Right wing a facade only; first floor window is blank with inscription "Rebuilt 1896". Interior rich with cut brilliant glass, patterned tiles and wrought iron.

Listing NGR: TQ2777772147

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 27777 72147

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2014 at 02:37:06.