List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: KNELLER HALL AND BOUNDARY WALLS ROYAL MILITARY SCHOOL OF MUSIC

List entry Number: 1065380

Location

KNELLER HALL AND BOUNDARY WALLS, KNELLER ROAD
ROYAL MILITARY SCHOOL OF MUSIC, KNELLER ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityRichmond upon ThamesLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Jun-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 205540

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5028 KNELLER ROAD

Royal Military School of Music, Kneller Hall and boundary walls TQ 1474 16/1

II

2. Originally built 1709-11 for Sir Godfrey Kneller, much altered and extended to its present elaborate neo-Jacobean form by George Mair, 1848. A particularly fine symmetrical main elevation (east front): Brick and stone, 3 storeys, 'E' plan form, the projecting centre containing the entrance, having a large square, 3-storey bay window, mullioned and transomed, crowned by an elaborate parapet with a coat of arms. The bay window projects beyond flanking square towers with flush bonded quoin stones, stone storey bands and slit windows, each tower crowned by a cornice and leaded ogee cupola. On either side, 3-bay recessed wings link the centre composition with 3-bay projecting wings, all with rusticated quoins, mullioned and transomed windows with architrave surrounds and pierced parapets, the centre bays of each wing front being enriched with superimposed orders of coupled pilasters and crowned by an elaborate open strapwork gable, crowned by a little pediment. The projecting wings are linked to form an entrance court behind an open arcaded stone screen with a Doric order with mannered details. Balustraded guard each arched opening with the exception of the centre bay which is treated as a projecting pediment entrance containing steps up toward the door in the centre of the darn range. Later additions to limited interest. Interior not seen, but stained glass in windows of central bay.

Listing NGR: TQ1468574191

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 14685 74191

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 11:06:46.