List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE (GERMAN LUTHERAN CHURCH AND VESTRY)

List entry Number: 1065325

Location

CHURCH OF ST GEORGE (GERMAN LUTHERAN CHURCH AND VESTRY), ALIE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityTower HamletsLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Oct-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 205704

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ALIE STREET 1. (north-west side) 4431 TQ 3381 14/431 29.12.50 CHURCH OF ST GEORGE German Lutheran Church and vestry

(Formerly listed as ALIE STREET (south-east side) St George's Lutheran Church and Vestry House attached to Church) GV II*

German Lutheran Church. 1762-3, founded by Dederich Beckmann, a wealthy sugar boiler; panel of donors dated 1766 on front. Stock brick with slate roof Church a single cell of four bays with balcony on three sides supported on round timber columns, the stairs to which are either side of committee room. Two-storey, one bay vestry at side. Facade symmetrical with doors either side of Venetian window to ground floor and windows either side of Diocletian window above; pediment over. Interior retains complete and original set of pews to ground floor and balconies (a remarkable survival), with high double-decker central pulpit with sounding board set behind altar rails and under coat of arms of George III and two commandment boards (in German) - all original features. At rear boards commemorate donors to the church. Committee room with simple panelling set between balcony stairs with turned baluster open-string stairs, and with painted glass window. The side windows (three per side) with early C19 coloured margin-light glazing; stained glass to windows either side of pulpit. The whole interior a remarkable and complete survival of high-quality traditional craftsmanship. The two room vestry is also of great interest. It is of brown brick with red brick dressings and gauged brick heads. The interior is fully panelled, with cornices and fireplaces. A dog-leg stair leads to the upper room, which has two sliding windows which open by a system of grooves and catches rather than counterweights and sashes.

Listing NGR: TQ3398681235

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 33986 81235

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 05:47:15.