List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1065037

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, LEIGHAM COURT ROAD SW16

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityLambethLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Mar-1981

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 204448

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEIGHAM COURT ROAD SW16 1. 5023 Church of St Peter TQ 3172 31/643 TQ 3171 35/643

II*

2. Choir and eastern 3 bays of nave, 1871 by Drew. West end 1888 by Fellowes Prynne. Impressive church on raised site. Very tall nave with low pent aisles. Tall chancel with apse and south chapel. North chancel aisle and transept, both with extensions. Bowed baptistery at west end; high undercroft below this and nave. Octagonal turrets supported by flying buttresses flank high west gable with great wheel window. Other windows traceried in style. Stock brick with much decoration, mostly flush, in red brick and stone; bands, diapering, window dressings. High pitched tiled roofs except for aisles. Inside, five-bay nave with tall pointed arcade on round stone piers; elsewhere, the polychromy continued. Facetted cut brick decoration to arches. Nave roof has arch-braced collar beams alternating with scissor trusses. Principals rest on corbelled shafts. Ribbed barreled chancel roof; panelled walls, sedilia and piscina; elaborate reredos. Wrought iron screens to south chapel.

Listing NGR: TQ3115072004

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 31150 72004

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 12:16:20.