List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER ST PETER'S SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1064944

Location

FORMER ST PETER'S SCHOOL, 38, ST OSWALD'S PLACE SE11

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityLambethLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Jan-1981

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Sep-1993

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 204620

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for:

ST OSWALD'S PLACE SE11 1. 5023

TQ 3078 4/494 27.1.81 St Peter's School

II GV

the address shall be amended to read "no. 38 (former St Peter's Schools)", the Grade shall be amended to Grade II* (star) and the description shall be amended to read as follows:

1860-1, by J L Pearson. Two storeys, of stock brick with bands and dressings of red brick and Bath stone. Tiled roofs. Irregular composition in picturesque Gothic style, with steeply pitched roofs and tall chimneys. Mullioned windows, some with pointed or cusped lights. South end consists of former master's house with half-hipped gable end. Former school to north of entrance arch groups with house and east end of St Peter's Church to form irregular court. Entrance to school on west side of court below a pyramidal tower. Some later alterations to fenestration on ground floor, north side of court. North of the building, the former art school at nos. 34-36 (1860-1) and soup kitchen (1863-4), also by Pearson, still remain but in altered form and are not included in the listing. The foundation stone of the schools was laid by the Prince of Wales on 27 June 1860. " " Source: Athony Quiney, John Loughborough Pearson, 1979, pp 64-7, 260.

------------------------------------

ST OSWALD'S PLACE SE11 1. 5023 St Peter's School TQ 3078 4/494 27.1.81

II GV

2. Circa 1864. By J L Pearson. Very irregular U-shaped two storey building of stock brick with bands and dressings of red brick and stone. Very steeply pitched slated roofs with fancy ridge tiles. Projecting chimney breasts breaking eaves with tall shafts soaring up beyond roof ridge. Most windows grouped in twos and fours, with stone heads and cusped, pointed or round lights, some with pierced trefoils. Projecting square tower in angle has pyramidal roof with dormer.

Listing NGR: TQ3072678133

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Quiney, A, John Loughborough Pearson, (1979), 64-7, 260

National Grid Reference: TQ 30726 78133

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 09:28:24.