List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GOLDERS GREEN CREMATORIUM

List entry Number: 1064865

Location

GOLDERS GREEN CREMATORIUM, HOOP LANE NW11

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityBarnetLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Mar-1981

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 198990

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 2588 26/168 TQ 2587 28/168 5004

HOOP LANE Golders Green NWll Golders Green Crematorium

19.3.81

II GV

Crematorium: 1901-1939, to designs by Ernest George and Alfred B Yeates; Yeates designed many minor features after 1920, including walls and connecting arches, as well as the eastern extension of the cloister; Mitchell and Bridgewater designs are detailed below. Extensive group of buildings, including chapels, a hall of memory, columbaria, cloisters, and offices, all linked by a single-storey spine to the south. Largely in a round-arched Lombardic style. Red and blue brick. Roofs of pantiles. Because of the complexity of the group, the following description will begin with structures at the west end of the site and move eastward. The cloister range which faces the south will be described last.

The nucleus of the original complex is found at the west end of the site and consists of offices, the West Columbarium, and the West Chapel with related structures all dating to 1901-03.

West Columbarium: 1902-03, the interior somewhat altered. Square in plan, with pyramidal roof; elevations articulated by brick piers; polygonal stair tower and round-arched windows to clerestory under eaves. Included in this listing is the square, open cloister to the west which dates to 1913-14. Also included are a series of low utility blocks attached to the Columbarium.

The range which closes the extreme west court of the site, which consists of a single-storey range, now a cafe, and a two-storey block, is specifically excluded.

Reception Block: attached to the spine by a round-arched portal with crowstepped parapet; rectangular in plan and running at right angles to the spine; round-arched recesses to ground floor on east - and north-facing elevations; five-window range to east and two-window range to north; structure enlarged by a single-storey porch to the west, and dating to c1930; of roughly the same date is a stone portal inscribed "Reception" added to the east face. Included in this listing is the pair of electric light brackets fixed to the north face of the block.

Loggia, facing the courtyard between the Reception Block and the West.

Chapel: seven bay, round arched, with the centre gap projecting in an aedicule.

West Chapel: architecturally the most prominent element in the group; the nave is rectangular in plan with round-arched clerestory lights; round-arched entrance porch to the west, square in plan; campanile and furnace rooms to the east. Interior: marble floor, open timber roof, panelled dado and red brick walling; early fittings and memorials by George and Yeates, including bust of Sir Henry Thompson, pioneer of cremation, by W S Frith, 1904. South windows of 1912. North end below gallery altered, the space below having been at first a waiting area.

East Chapel: designed by Mitchell and Bridgewater in 1938-9; rectangular in plan, at right angles to south spine; entrance in north elevation set in a two-storey round-arched recess; timber-framed entrance hood. Wall with portal, linking East Chapel with Bedford Chapel, 1920-1930, in a neo-Georgian style; round-arched portal with stepped parapet.

Bedford Chapel: single-storey, with hipped roof and gable-facing entrance porch in centre; rectangular in plan; completed in 1911 for the Duke of Bedford. The south wall abuts the East Columbarium.

East Columbarium: 1911-13; five storeys; plan a square with rebated corners; galleries in Hopton Wood stone; each face articulated by a pair of recesses for windows, each finishing in corbel table; round-arched lights to clerestory; to east a slightly lower block. Ernest George Columbarium, east of the East Columbarium: Alfred B Yeates, 1922-28, symmetrical with end towers, small apsidal projection at the centre of the wall between the towers; external brick diaper work; to the south the end towers project as wings, forming a courtyard which is closed by a five-bay arcade.

Walls, east of George Columbarium, single storey, pierced by round diaphragm arches; opens onto an open cloister court, of cl92O-1930; fixed to east wall is a particularly grand memorial tabernacle in Portland stone, with the inscription, "The Earth and the Spirit Abideth Forever" in the entablature.

At the east end of the site the Chapel of Memory and Chapel of Memory Columbarium: 1938-9, by Mitchell and Bridgewater; the Chapel rectangular in plan with the long axis running east-west; the Columbarium rectangular in plan running at right angles to the Chapel; the Columbarium is taller than the Chapel; to the south, the gable end of the Columbarium has a three bay, vaulted cloister.

South Elevations and structures:

War Memorial Portico and Lily Pool: adjacent to the West Columbarium, Portland stone, architect unknown; 1919-20.

Exedral cloister: east end of range, entered from the south, forming the remains of the pergola laid out with the advice of William Robinson, 1907. Brick wall and piers with tile coping, the wall returns for some two dozen bays, through no.35, all of which are included in this listing.

Clositer Ranges: round-arched loggia; some bays spanned by round diaphragm arches, the majority defined by trusses of wood finishing above a brick pier in the rear wall of the cloister. The range backing onto the West Columbarium through the Bedford Chapel has 21 bays, with slightly projecting aedicule in the tenth bay.

Chapel of Memory Cloister: nine bays, stepping up the slope of the site in three-bay sections, each with separate roofs and broken joins; terminating in three-bay vaulted cloister in the gable end of the Chapel of Memory Columbarium.

The plaques lining the cloister, the open cloisters, the exedra and wall, and the several halls and chapels are numerous; there are many fine examples of memorial art, scattered in amongst plainer slabs; the great number make an exact description difficult. Most are worthy of retention and are therefore included in this listing. Forming a group with the range is the wall to the north, running along the pavement of Hoop Lane (q.v), and in the grounds to the south the following Mausolea and sculpture: the Martin Smith Mausoleum (q.v), the Philipson Mausoleum (q.v) and the sculpture titled "Into the Silent Land" (q.v).



Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 25246 87999

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 11:22:31.