List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH

List entry Number: 1064747

Location

CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH, BISHOPSGATE EC2

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCity and County of the City of LondonLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Jan-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 199309

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BISHOPSGATE EC2 1.5002 (West Side) Church of St Botolph TQ 3381 NW 5/57 TQ 3381 SW 11/57 4.1.50.

II* 2. 1725-9, altered considerably. Aisled and galleried nave with tower over square chancel, flanked by lobbies. East elevation (to Bishopsgate) of Portland stone with arched window framed by paired Doric pilasters supporting pediment. Corniced doors on either side connected to windows above. Circular openings over and cornice topped by balustrade. Tower rises in 3 stages with pilasters, clock etc and is topped by 4 urns arid a circular lantern, within a balustrade, capped with ogee dome and carved finial. Other elevations of red brick and Portland stone, altered in C19. Nave is lower than east end with 2 tiers of windows, segmentally arched below and round-arched above. Small cornice and parapet. C19 doorway to north and south, latter with enrichment. Centre of west end set forward with flanking consoles and-Venetian window. Corinthian colonnade on pedestals to interior, supporting architrave and panelled barrel vault with enrichment. Coved ceiling to aisles. Panelled front to gallery which is supported on pair of Ionic columns and piers at west end and has 2 vestries below. Arch to groin-vaulted chancel with enriched panels to intrados. Pulpit and organ case (divided into 2) apparently early C18.Circular lantern added to centre of nave.

Listing NGR: TQ3320481501

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 33206 81500

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 08:58:43.