List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TALLOW CHANDLERS HALL

List entry Number: 1064685

Location

TALLOW CHANDLERS HALL, 4, DOWGATE HILL EC4

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCity and County of the City of LondonLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Jan-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 199428

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DOWGATE HILL EC4 1. 5002 (West Side) No 4 (Tallow Chandlers Hall) TQ 3280 NE 16/419 4.1.50.

II*

2. 1671 to 72. Courtyard building at rear of Nos 3 to 7 approached by passage between Nos 3 and 5. 3 storeys. Red brick with painted stone dressings and large, modillion cornice of timber. Ground storey arcaded with open cloister now only on west side, with kitchens behind it and hall above. Tympana of arches on this side filled with carved decoration. Central window of 5 above enriched, with circular clerestory openings. Staircase in north-east corner and parlour on 1st floor of north range with Court room above. Curtailed south range very shallow, also of 3 storeys. East side formed by matching but taller rear of Nos 3 to 7. Staircase reconstructed but retaining original, twisted balusters at top. Hall has good panelling with carved frieze to entablature below clerestory. Small, 3 sided oriel to west. Richly carved screen with engaged columns etc to staircase and elaborately carved niche with coat of arms etc at south end. Decorated pilasters to clerestory and small cove to enriched plaster ceiling, perhaps partly renewed. Parlour has fine original panelling, carved doorcases and chimney pieces and enriched ceiling. Court room plainer but retains original arrangement of seating etc. North side of building, to Cloak Lane, is featureless except for narrow, early C20 facade at west end. 3 storeys. 1 window. Mid C17 style in Portland stone. Doorway with richly carved hood on brackets. Enriched mullioned and transomed windows above with cornice to 1st floor and pediment to 2nd. Large modillion cornice continuing that to Skinners' Hall to west. Railing and gate to forecourt. Scheduled AM.

Listing NGR: TQ3254580890

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 32545 80890

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Sep-2014 at 08:42:36.