List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHANCEL TO CHURCH ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1064541

Location

CHANCEL TO CHURCH ST JAMES, CHAPEL GATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth HollandDistrict AuthoritySutton St. James

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Jun-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Nov-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 197939

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SUTTON ST. JAMES CHAPEL GATE TF 31 NE (north side) 6/93 Chancel to Church St. James 30.6.66 formerly listed as part of Church of St. James)

G.V. II

Chancel of church. C15, heavily restored 1879 and 1894, C20 extension. Ashlar, red brick, dressed coursed rubble. Plain tile roofs with coped gables and decorative ridge cross to the east. Chancel with C19 apsidal east end and C19 north aisle, C20 extension to west. West wall with evidence of former nave roof line. West wall of aisle with single C19 single light pointed arched window with cusped tracery. North wall with 3 C19 pointed arched 2 light windows with cusped tracery. East wall with single window as west wall. East chancel, set on a moulded plinth extending to the south chancel, has 3 C19 pointed arched 2 light windows with cusped tracery, hood mould, label stops and sill bands. The single central window with animal head label stops. South chancel with 3 C19 pointed arched 3 light windows with cusped tracery, hood mould and sill bands. The single central window truncated and with blocked basket arched C15 doorway with hood mould under. Inner moulded arched west doorway with Tudor style hood mould with foliate carved spandrels. Interior. 3 bay C19 nave arcades with quatrefoil columns and responds with moulded arches. Double chamfered C15 chancel arch with inner order of octagonal responds and moulded capitals. Single quatrefoil to right. Octagonal font, the C15 bowl with cusped panels. Some C18 fragments incorporated in the pulpit. The nave was destroyed during the Commonwealth.

Listing NGR: TF3965418393

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 39654 18393

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Apr-2014 at 04:47:32.