List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OLD SCHOOL BUILDING AT COWLEYS SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1064457

Location

OLD SCHOOL BUILDING AT COWLEYS SCHOOL, SCHOOL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth HollandDistrict AuthorityDonington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Jan-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 198146

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DONINGTON SCHOOL LANE TF 23 NW (north side) 2/30 Old School Building 25.10.51 at Cowleys School (formerly listed as Donington Cowley's Secondary School) ) G.V. II School. Founded by Thomas Cowley in 1719, partly rebuilt after a fire in 1812, altered C19 and C20. Red brown brick in English bond, ashlar and stucco dressings. Machine plain tiled roof with reused stone coped gables and decorative knops. Wooden bellcote with shaped lead roof. To the rear a tall wall stack. 2 storey, 6 bay front with ashlar plinth, first floor band and quoins. Timber dentillated eaves cornice. Central C19 lead roofed stucco porch with angle pilasters, plain frieze, moulded cornice to segmental pediment. Double half glazed doors with bordered lights. To left 3 and to right 2 large cross mullioned windows. To right a doorway with moulded ashlar surround and cornice, beyond a narrow C19 fixed light. To first floor are 6 two light casement windows. All windows have flat splayed brick arched heads with keyblocks and moulded ashlar cills. Above the door a C18 oval sundial, with inscription above. Beneath it a tablet records the foundation of the school by T. Cowley in 1719 and its rebuilding in AD 1812. On the quoins are many graffiti inscriptions, including a footprint dated 1795.

Listing NGR: TF2120335712

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 21203 35712

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2014 at 04:32:13.