List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1064345

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH ROW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityBromleyLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Aug-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Jun-1973

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 358409

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHURCH ROW, CHISLEHURST 1. 4407 Church of St Nicholas (formerly listed under Church Lane) TQ 46 NW 5/66 25.8.54 B the Grade shall be amended to Grade II* (star) and the description shall be amended to read as follows:

Parish church. c.1460, incorporating earlier work; restored 1557, enlarged with some rebuilding in 1849 by Benjamin Ferry, 1858 by Wollaston, 1896 by Bodley and Garner. Flint rubble with stone dressings; nave roof tiled, north aisle roof of slate. Nave with aisles, chancel with north vestry; tower over west bay of north aisle, c.1460, with tall, shingled broach spire rebuilt by Wollaston in 1858. South aisle and vestry added by Ferrey in Perpendicular style; he also worked on the chancel, which was then enlarged by Bodley and Garner with new east end; their's the partially infilled three-light traceried east-window and the more ornamental stone dressings of the east wall. Ferrey's aisle tracery simpler: paired cusped lights under hood moulds. INTERIOR: Opening high on west wall of nave is a remnant of the original small Saxon church. Four-bay arcade on quatrefoil piers. Arches with two chamfers, tower arches with three; all C15. Door to tower dated 1586. Braced collar rafter roof. Original Perpendicular screens separate nave from chancel and north aisle. Chancel refitted by Bodley and Garner with painted wagon roof, and reredos - with alabasters - of 1896. Sanctuary paving 1896 by Farmer and Brindley, and sanctuary glass of same date by Burlison and Grylls. One south window 1900 by Kempe. Organ case 1888. Font: Norman, with square, acaded bowl on five shafts. Many fine monuments from C16 to C19, especially Walsingham tomb (1550) and Warwick cartouche (1682).

------------------------------------

CHURCH ROW, CHISLEHURST 1. 4407 Church of St Nicholas (Formerly Listed under Church Lane) TQ 46 W 5/66 25.8.54. B

2. Flint, rubble with stone dressings restored in 1557. North-West Tower, nave with aisles, chancel and vestry to North of chancel. The South aisle and vestry added in 1849, when file chancel was restored by Bodley, Shingled broached spire. Interior has braced collar rafter roof and wagon roof in chancel. Monuments. Norman font. Door under tower dated 1586.

Listing NGR: TQ4441769919

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 44417 69919

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 06:40:18.