List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1064050

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireWest LindseyDistrict AuthorityKnaith

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 16-Dec-1964

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 197066

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 88 SW KNAITH CHURCH LANE (west side)

3/19 Church of 16.12.64 St. Mary

G.V. II*

Parish church. C11, early C14, early C18. Coursed limestone rubble, limestone herringbone, limestone ashlar. Plain tiled double ridge roofs with stone coped gables and small wooden bellcote with slatted sides and lead covered gable. Square plan. Moulded plinthand upper string course run across third of the wall to left with ashlar quoins and large blocked rectangular window above. Masonry to right includes several large areas of herringbone. North side with moulded plinth and upper String course. To west, a large, pointed blocked C14 doorway with chamfered surround all in one, hood mould and head label stops. Large rectangular window to left with 3 lights and chamfered mullions. 2 gables above with flat section between. East side with quoined north and south corners and masonry breaks and more quoins several yards from each corner. South side with moulded plinth and upper string course. Large early C14 windows with pointed heads, 3 pointed lights with reticulated tracery, hood mould and head label stops. Doorway to left with pointed head and chamfered surround, hood mould, head label stops and plank door. South corbel head supports south gable. Interior divided by massive early C18 3 bay arcade running north tosouth with plain round heads, keystones and imposts. Cl8 panelled ceiling cuts off top of south windows. Fine Cl7 polygonal pulpit with sounding board with ornate round beaded panels with fluted pilasters, cable decoration, flowerheads and petalled bands. Urn finial surmounts sounding board. Lectern attached to left at lower level, partly restored. C17 choir stalls with ornate panels with flowerheads, bayleaf bands and acorn finials. Rustic C18 pews with poppyheads. Early C14 octagonal font with reticulated traceried panels and large devil and animal heads. Black and white marble monument on south wall with fluted pilasters, pinnacles, cusped pointed head and urn, of Henry Dalton, died 1821. Several C15 incised tomb stones set into floor. C19 baldachino over altar. Originally convent church of Cistercian nunnery of Heynings. Chancel destroyed at dissolution, church reformed in 1630.

Listing NGR: SK8279184617

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 82791 84617

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 11:16:59.