List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

List entry Number: 1064043

Location

CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, MAIN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireWest LindseyDistrict AuthorityNorth Willingham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 197152

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 18 NE NORTH WILLINGHAM MAIN ROAD

3/27 Church of 1.11.66 St. Thomas

II

Parish church. C14, C15, 1753, 1896 interior restoration. Squared greenstone rubble with some sandstone coursed rubble. Slate roofs having lead dressings. Western tower, nave and chancel. The tower is of 3 stages with plinth, embattled parapet with corner pinnacles. C18 west door with chamfered reveals, has semi-circular head with key and impost blocks. Above is a reset C15 window with panel tracery and to belfry stage are paired ogee headed lights with mandorla over, in principal directions. North side wall of nave has 3 semi-circular headed windows with key and impost blocks. East chancel wall has a Venetian window with plain surround. South side of nave matches the north. Interior. West tower chamber contains staircase with plain balusters leading to first floor ringing chamber in the east wall of which the original C14 single chamfered pointed tower arch can be seen. The nave is entered through panelled double doors with a low basket arched C18 surround having key and impost blocks. The nave and chancel have dentillated cornices. The chancel arch is semi-circular headed with panelled reveals and moulded imposts. Fittings. Mid C18 turned baluster altar rails, panelled pulpit and at the west end of the nave is a panelled gallery with dentillated cornice supported on slender square columns. C19 octagonal font on a circular marble shaft. Monuments. Built into the west wall of the nave is the head of a C13 recumbent grave slab with cross fleury terminal. In the chancel 2 pitch pine freestanding crosses brought from Palestine after the First World War.

Listing NGR: TF1634388293

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 16343 88293

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 06:59:09.