List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST SWITHUN AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1063801

Location

CHURCH OF ST SWITHUN AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WorcestershireWorcesterDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 22-May-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 488634

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WORCESTER

SO8554NW CHURCH STREET 620-1/17/154 (North side) 22/05/54 Church of St Swithun and attached railings

GV I

Parish church, now redundant, and attached railings. 1734-6 with earlier origins, including C15 tower (refaced 1734-6). Architects: Thomas and Edward Woodward of Chipping Camden. Limestone ashlar over brick with concealed roof and cast-iron railings. Classical style with Gothic details. Rectangular on plan with west tower, 6 bays. West tower in 4 stages, marked by string courses and with diagonal off-set buttresses; west entrance has double 6 raised-and-fielded-panel door with carved lintel surmounted by fanlight with Perpendicular-type glazing in tooled architrave with moulded imposts and cherub's head carved in keystone. Upper stages have Y-tracery to 2-light windows (leaded lights to first floor, blind above and louvred to belfry) with chamfered mullions and triple-chamfered reveals. Nave has fluted full-height Doric pilasters between bays and round-arched, multi-pane windows with tooled architraves and keystones. 3-bay east end articulated by Doric pilasters and with projecting pedimented bay to centre pierced by an elaborate Ionic-style Venetian window; clock above parapet set in pediment; outer bays have panelled doors set below tall windows, all with similar round arches. INTERIOR: aisleless, having a segmental vault with ribs springing from corbels each side with crowned and winged cherub-heads; bosses with Gothic motifs and circlet of cherub-heads over altar. Chancel divided by screen walls with raised and fielded panelling and outer 6-panel doors, ramped up to tall 'plinths' surmounted by Roman Doric columns, panelling continues as reredos. Similar panelling to north and south walls approximately 2 metres high. Venetian window to interior has Ionic columns and cornice with acanthus modillions. Canted west gallery standing on square fluted wooden pillars; staircase has 2-panel door. Leaded glass to windows, except late C19 stained glass to east designed by Eginton. FURNISHINGS: wrought-iron altar table; box pews throughout, panelled; triple-decker pulpit has closed-string winding stairs, balustrade with fluted columns and tester with elaborately carved crown and surmounting pelican. Altar rails. Mayor's chair with scrolled sword rest. Round-arched door to tower has 2-raised-and-fielded panels. White marble font a bowl on stem. MONUMENTS: a good collection includes those to Edward Milton d1627; Richard Harris d1684; Martha Trovell d1711; Anna Colles d1716; Henry Hope, grocer d1753 by Richard Squire of Worcester; John Clements d1781; Thomas Wakeman d1794 by W Stephens of Worcester; John Southan d1804. In tower a monument to Joseph Withers d1741 by CT Withers. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: railings and gates to west end have 2 levels of rails and spearhead bars, gates have segmental arch. HISTORICAL NOTE: built on site of C13 church. Made redundant in 1977. A remarkably complete example of a mid C18 church, representative in its plan and internal details of both the C18 established church and civil administration and ritual. One of an important group of four churches in Worcester which, in their present form, are largely eighteenth century, with Church of All Saints, Broad Street; Church of St Martin, Cornmarket and former Church of St Nicholas, The Cross. Their towers, together with the Cathedral (qv) and St Andrew's Tower, Deansway (qv), form the most significant feature of Worcester's skyline. A key building in this part of the city centre, forming a focal point for and having good group value with all the listed buildings in Church Street, St Swithin's Street and Mealcheapen Street (qqv). (The Buildings of England: Pevsner: N: Worcestershire: Harmondsworth: 1968-1985: 295, 321; Colvin H: A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects: 1600-1840: 1995-: 1044; Transactions of the Worcestershire Archaeological Society: Baker N: The Urban Churches of Worcester: Worcester: 1980-: 115-124).



Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H , A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1995), 1044
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 295, 321
Baker, N, 'Transactions of the Worcestershire Archaeological Society' in The Urban Churches of Worcester, (1980), 115-124

National Grid Reference: SO 85043 54949

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 10:44:57.