List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1063688

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MAIN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireEast LindseyDistrict AuthorityDonington on Bain

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 195895

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DONINGTON ON BAIN MAIN ROAD TF 28 SW (north side)

2/11 Church of 9.3.67 St. Andrew

II*

Parish church. Late C12, C14, c.1779, restored 1868. Green sandstone rubble, limestone ashlar dressings, some stock brick dressings and some render. Slate roofs with stone coped gables with eastern cross finial. West tower, nave and chancel. West tower rebuilt c.1779 and restored in the C19; with plinth and west doorway restored in C19 with pointed head, continuously chamfered surround, plank doors and red brick semi-circular relieving arch above. C19 pointed window above with 2 cusped, pointed lights with quatrefoil. Moulded string course defines bell stage with bell openings on 3 sides, each a plain pointed opening with continuous chamfered surround. Late C12 nave and chancel. North side of the nave with outline of 2 blocked arcade bays with 2 C19 windows inserted each with 2 pointed cusped lights and cusped mouchette above. Chancel with single late C12 lancet and C19 rendered brick buttress beyond. East end of chancel with pointed late C14 window with 3 pointed lights and hood mould. South side of chancel with single C12 lancet to west. South side of nave with large late C14 rectangular window with 4 cusped, ogee headed lights and hood mould. Single stage C12 buttress to the left and C12 lancet beyond. Inner tower doorway of c.1779 with semi-circular head, large fanlight with stained glass and leather covered doors. Late C12 2 bay north arcade partially exposed with double chamfered pointed heads, octagonal central pier with moulded capital, west respond capital with crude large petals with veins and east respond barely visible. Late C12 chancel arch with double chamfered pointed head, a little askew, and hood mould; polygonal responds with moulded capitals with beaded bands. C19 altar rail, pews, pulpit and lectern. Flat ceilings. C17 memorial to Thomas Kent, poet. Late C12 drum font with intersecting pointed arcade inscribed, with broad cable decorated band below, and roll moulded above.

Listing NGR: TF2356482974

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 23564 82974

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 12:48:25.