List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1063684

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireEast LindseyDistrict AuthorityBurwell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 09-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 195890

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BURWELL CHURCH LANE TF 37 NE (north side)

8/8 Church of St. Michael 9.3.67

I

Parish church. Early C12, late C15, early C16, late C18, C19, C20. Green sandstone rubble blocks, limestone ashlar dressings, some red brick. Lead roofs with some slate. West tower, nave with south porch and chancel. Early C16 3 stage west tower with 3 stage clasping buttresses and plinth, sundial above south-west buttress. West doorway with flattened triangular head, continuous bowtell moulded surround, hood mould and plank door. Moulded string courses define the second stage with pointed window with bowtell moulded surround, 3 pointed cusped lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Clock above. South side upper part of second stage of late C18 brick with small lancet. Bell openings on all 4 sides, the upper parts of bell stage of C18 brick; all the openings with pointed heads, bowtell moulded surrounds and shuttering. Stone coped battlements with moulded ashlar eaves and corner gargoyles. Nave with brick patched eaves. North side with single late C15 rectangular window with 3 cusped ogee headed lights. Masonry breaks to left and right with some brick patching. C20 2 light wooden casement beyond. C13 chancel with single lancet in north side with hood mould. C20 brick patching to left. East end with early C16 window inserted with four centred head, bowtell moulded surround, 3 pointed cusped lights and hood mould. South side of chancel with large late C15 rectangular window with 3 ogee headed cusped lights and hood mould. Early C18 table tomb set below against wall with skull and laurels decorating the east and west ends, and looped draperies, the south side; inscription illegible. C20 2 and 3 stage buttresses help support south wall of nave with outline of 2 pointed blocked arcade bays with 2 narrower, lower pointed blocked arcade bays to west. Late C15 window inserted to east with 3 cusped ogee headed lights, hood mould and crude head label stops. C16 rectangular window to left with 3 rectangular lights, hood mould and crude head label stops. Late C18 gabled porch to west with re-used C15 semi-circular headed doorway with continuous moulded surround, tumbled gables and inner C15 doorway with barely pointed head, continuous double chamfered surround, hood mould, single head label stop and double plank doors. Late C15 interior tower arch with double chamfered, pointed head, polygonal responds and moulded imposts. Early C12 chancel arch of 4 orders and with semi-circular head; inner order of arch with triangular sub chip-star decoration, 2 roll moulded orders and outer billeted order, outer rectangular jambs with sub chip- star decorated imposts; inner single shaft with moulded capitals, one with dancing stags, the other crude volutes. Fragment of C12 wall painting with crowned head and initial "M" above arch to north. In tower roof 3 elongated wingless angels re-set, probably from original roof. Ornate late C19 oak altar rail of bold grapes and vineleaves. C19 reredos with 5 arched panels containing tracery and ornate piers. Early C15 flowered statue bracket. C15 octagonal font with shields contained in cusped panels, traceried pedestal and plinth with inscription saying it was the gift of Thomas Fitzwilliam. C17 pine pulpit with 4 sides with blank arches, panelled sides and geometric decoration. C19 tie beam roofs and pews. C19 dado rail and piscina. Monuments include one to Hugh Allington, died 1674, in white, grey and yellow streaked marble with segmental pediment, festoons, cartouche, cherubs and draperies. One to Matthew Dymoke, died 1792, in grey and white marble with urn and draperies. One of white and grey marble to Charles Bancroft, died 1808; and another to Matthew Bancroft-Lister, died 1842. Another white marble monument to Elizabeth Yorke, died 1845.

Listing NGR: TF3557279697

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 35574 79698

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 07:19:27.