List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1063584

Location

CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireEast LindseyDistrict AuthorityRaithby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 196154

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RAITHBY MAIN STREET TF 36 NE (east side) 2/39 Church of Holy Trinity 3.2.67 G.V. II* Parish church. C12, reused C14 details, partly rebuilt 1873 by Sir G. G. Scott, 1886 chancel enlarged by Temple Moore, tower renewed by Hodgson Fowler, 1895. Squared greenstone rubble with limestone ashlar dressings. Ashlar, lead roofs. Western tower, nave, aisles, chancel, south porch. 3 stage tower in greenstone, with plinth, chamfered string courses, plain parapet, corner gargoyles and crocketed pinnacles. C15 re-cut belfry lights with 2 louvred openings with ogee heads and hollow chamfered surrounds. C15 west doorway with moulded surround and triangular head. Above a 4 light C15 window with hollow moulded surround and C19 panel tracery. Above a trefoil headed light. On the north side a wider buttress forms the stair tower. Ashlar north aisle has a C14 recut 2 light west window with trefoil headsto the lights and quatrefoil over, on the north side a bell moulded plinth and cill band, and 3 broad stepped buttresses. Pointed doorway in moulded surround, 2 two light C19 flat headed windows with ogee heads to the lights. C14 2 light west north aisle window with trefoil heads to the lights and mouchettes. Tall C19 chapel with a pair of ogee headed lights and facetted stack between. Pent roofed vestry with 4 centred arched headed doorway and reset C16 2 light window, deeply set with cusped heads to the lights and label hood mould. 3 light C15 east window in hollow chamfered surround with C19 recut panel tracery. Small quatrefoil over in gable. On the south side 2 C14 largely recut C19 3 light flat headed windows with cusped ogee heads to the lights. The south aisle has a taller similar 2 light east window and 2 south windows. The westernmost coping is moulded with a cusped and crocketed gablette. C19 gabled porch with angle buttresses, continuously moulded pointed outer doorway and a 2 light eastern window. C19 inner doorway with moulded pointed head. Interior. Double chamfered pointed north nave arcade with octagonal piers and capitals, moulded bases. The south nave has been recut by Sir G. G. Scott and may have been C12 originally with scalloped capital and chamfered arches. C19 chancel screen and pews. Window by Kempe 1896. Interior not available for inspection.

Listing NGR: TF3737967065

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 37379 67065

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Aug-2014 at 04:07:47.