List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1063475

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, RASEN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireWest LindseyDistrict AuthorityTealby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 196402

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 19 SE TEALBY RASEN ROAD (north side)

7/45 Church of All Saints 1.11.66. G.V. I

Parish church, C12, C13, early C14, C15, C16, chancel re-modelled by James Fowler in 1872, tower restored 1881-4. Coursed ironstone rubble, some ironstone ashlar. Slate roofs. West tower, nave with north and south aisles, south porch and rectangular chancel. Mid C12 west tower with early C15 4th stage and buttresses. Moulded plinth with diagonal butress with high stepped bases and richly moulded stringcourses. Similar buttress in centre of southside of tower reaching just above the second stage. Small early C12 west doorway with large plain chamfered impost blocks. C19 lintel inserted and semi-circular head. Above, a round headed window of c1175 with small head inside apex with weathered, drooping leaves on either side and hoodmould. South side, just east of buttress is a rectangular light. Clock of 1977 above. C15 bell chamber openings on all 4 sides, each of 2 cusped pointed lights with vertical tracery above and hoodmould. On the east side, lower and to the north of bell chamber opening is pointed, deeply set C12 opening with chamfered surround and hoodmould. Apex of east bellopening has head at eaves level, and projecting gargoyle in similar position above west bellchamber opening. Moulded eaves, battlements and corner pinnacles of 1881 . Weathervane. Early C14 north aisle with pointed windows of 2 cusped lights with reticulated quatrefoil above and hoodmould. Angle buttresses of 2 stages and tall chimney. North side proper has 3 light pointed window with intersecting tracery, restored in C19 and hoodmould, with 2 stage buttress to the left with pointed doorway with chamfered head, jambs, hoodmould and plank door, beyond. To the left 2 three light pointed windows with restored intersecting tracery and hoodmoulds, with 2 stage buttress between. East corner has 2 stage angle buttress. East end of nave has 3 light pointed window with restored interesecting tracery and hoodmould. C19 moulded eaves, battlements and the blind traceried bases of pinnacles run along top of north aisle. C15 clerestory of 4, 3 light windows with flattened triangular heads and hoodmoulds joined by stringcourse. C19 moulded eaves, battlements and blind traceried bases of 4 pinnacles. East end of nave has roofline of earlier chancel, moulded eaves and battlements, south pinnacle and north pinnacle blind traceried base. North side of chancel has blocked rectangular opening to the west, with small barely pointed doorway to left with chamfered arch and joists in one and plank door. Beyond a 3 light pointed window with interesecting tracery restored. C19 and hoodmould, with 2 stage buttress to the left. North east and south east corners have 2 stage angle buttresses with plinths. 5 light east window with C19 tracery and hoodmould. South side of chancel has a long 3 light pointed window with intersecting tracery restored in C19, and hoodmould with 2 stage buttress to west. Beyond is a lower, smaller 3 light pointed window with restored intersecting tracery. Blocked rectangular opening to the west. East end of south aisle of nave has small 3 light pointed window with intersecting tracery. 2 stage angle buttress in south east corner. South side proper has 2 pointed, 3 light windows with restored intersecting tracery with hoodmoulds, with 2 stage buttress in between. C16 south porch with plinth, moulded eaves and battlements. Low 2 stage buttress pointing west and east. Low pointed double chamfered doorway with arch and jambs in one. 3 light rectangular window set in gable above with splayed stone mullions. Porch interior has large rectangular recess in west wall. Pointed chamfered south doorway with arch and jambs in one, plank door and re-used C16 timbers in roof. Pointed 3 light window to west of porch with restored intersecting tracery, with hoodmould. 2 stage angle buttresses on west corner. West end of south aisle has pointed 2 light window with restored 'Y' tracery and hoodmould. Moulded eaves and battlements run full length of aisle with blind traceried bases of 5 pinnacles. C15 clerestory with 4, three light windows with flattened triangular heads and hoodmould joined together by stringcourse. Moulded eaves, battlements and 4 complete, ornate pinnacles. Interior C12 tower arch restored in 1884, has large pointed head of 2 orders. Inner arch chamfered with billet and chipstar decoaration, outer arch plain. Heavy multi-scalloped capitals and moulded abaci. Above, to the north, a round headed opening restored in C19, with hoodmould. 4 bay mid C13 north and south arcades with octagonal piers, polygonal responds, plain capitals and double chamfered pointed arches. South arcade abaci decorated with series of grooves. C15 tie beam timber roof restored in C19 and C20. Mid C13 chancel arch with polygonal responds, plain capitals, moulded abaci and double chamfered, pointed head. Chancel interior, by Fowler with 3 large ornate monuments and 2 large piscina and single, small piscina. Altar rail of c1730. Reredos of 1872 re-using C16 carved panels, probably from the Netherlands including scenes from the life of Christ, man riding a seahorse and a woman surrounded by stylised waves. Fragments of early C14 canopies of stained glass in north and south chancel windows. C19 5 sided pulpit with heavily traceried panels. C12 octagonal stone font with C19 base. C20 lectern and pews. Various C19 monuments. 2 C18 hatchments in tower.



Listing NGR: TF1571290898

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 15712 90896

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2014 at 08:38:09.