List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST.JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1063424

Location

CHURCH OF ST.JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireWest LindseyDistrict AuthorityNettleton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 196494

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TA 10 SW NETTLETON CHURCH STREET

3/14 Church of St.John 1-11-66 The Baptist

II*

Parish Church, Cll, C15, 1805 and 1874 restoration and rebuilding by James Fowler of Louth; coursed ironstone rubble with ashlar dressings and slate roofs, western tower, nave, chancel, south porch, vestry. The 3 stage tower is in very weathered ironstone of large irregularly shaped blocks, the lower 2 stages being Saxo-Norman with a plinth and square section string course and side alternate quoins which are largely concealed by later buttresses of one and a half stages. The top stage was added in C15 and has a plain parapet with C19 pinnacles in a decorated style. On the south face is a small internally splayed light, now almost concealed by a later buttress. The west doorway is also Saxo Norman and has square jambs, plain chamfered imposts, a semi-circular arch with deep weathered hood mould bearing-traces of incised ornament. The tympanum is pierced by a C20 circular light and has C20 carving. The C20 door is glazed. Above the door is a small round headed internally splayed window. The top stage has a large clock with Roman numerals. The north face is blank. The 4 belfry lights, one to each face, are C15 2 light openings with cusped heads. The remainder of the church dates from the 1874 rebuilding which follows an earlier rebuilding of 1805 although some masonry may be medieval. The Early English style has been used with 4 two light north windows, a 3 light east window, 5 two light south windows. On the north side is a stepped chimney stack with circular chamfer moulded top. Interior: The Saxo Norman tower arch is tall and round headed with square jambs and arch and chamfered imposts. One half of the arch has a deep roll moulding the other half is plain. The furnishings all date from the 1874 restoration. The chancel roof is decorated with stencilled fleur de lys between the rafters. In the nave and chancel is stained glass from 1874- 1900. The chancel floor is of Minton tiles. The stone reredos and altar sculpture is of the Last Supper and contains the 10 Commandments and Creed. At west end is a Royal Coat of Arms. Source: H.M. and Joan Taylor, Anglo Saxon Architecture.

Listing NGR: TA1111100196

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Taylor, H M, J , , Anglo Saxon Architecture, (1965)

National Grid Reference: TA 11111 00196

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2014 at 12:00:09.