List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CAISTOR PRIMARY SCHOOL AND SCHOOL HOUSE

List entry Number: 1063395

Location

CAISTOR PRIMARY SCHOOL AND SCHOOL HOUSE, SOUTH DALE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireWest LindseyDistrict AuthorityCaistor

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 196633

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TA 1001-1101 CAISTOR SOUTH DALE

9/84 Caistor Primary School and School House

II

Primary school, and house, built as the National School 1859-60 by Maugham & Fowler. Brick with ashlar dressings, gabled roofs with red and black banded plain tiles. One ridge and 2 wall stacks. Irregular seven bay front, school is single storey, the school house of 2 storeys. Near the centre of the facade is a chimney of shouldered form with a Star of David in dark header bricks above a decorative plaque bearing the motto'Caistor Parochial School 1859' and a recessed rectangular plaque inscribed, 'This school was erected by the friends of Mr James Green Dixon as a memorial of his long and valuable serivices in the cause of religious education, 1859'. To either side are single 5 light mullioned horizontally hinged casement windows in chamfered plain surrounds. To the left a wing projects to the road and in the gable is a 3 light window in the Gothick style with 3 roundels over, flanked by brickwork decorated with dark diapers made up of burnt black headers; the gable has a decorated verge. Behind a later C19 screen wall, the facade terminates in a pitched gabled doorway labelled 'Boys': this gable is also decorated with corbelled bricks. To the right of the central element, the porch for the Girls side is eaves on to the road and contains 2 Gothic style quatrefoil windows in its exposed side. Beyond is the gable end of the school house of 2 storeys with a plain C20 casement window in a C19 chamfered ashlar surround beneath relieving arch filled with tumbled brickwork. On the first floor is a further C20 casement with an earlier ashlar surround with a pointed relieving arch over a 'tympanum' of tumbled brickwork. The gable overhangs and is supported on scrolled timber brackets. There is a low brick wall with plinth and ashlar coping crowned with decorative ironwork before the buildings.

Listing NGR: TA1182401057

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TA 11824 01057

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2014 at 10:16:26.