List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

List entry Number: 1063378

Location

CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT, THORPE LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireWest LindseyDistrict AuthorityBrattleby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 196697

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 98 SW BRATTLEBY THORPE LANE (North side)

6/6 Church of St. Cuthbert 30.ll.66 II*

Parish church. Late Cll, cl175, C14, restored and partly rebuilt in 1858 by James Fowler. Coursed ironstone and limestone rubble, limestone ashlar. Plain tiled roofs with decorative ridge tiles and stone coped gables. Lead covered spire. West tower with squat pyramidal spire, nave with north aisle, rectangular chancel with north chapel. Late Cll west tower refurbished in C14 and restored in Cl9. High plinth and quoins. West doorway, refurbished in C14 with pointed chamfered head, partially chamfered jambs, hood mould, head label stops and plank door. Small slit window and string course above. Bell openings on all 4 sides heavily restored in C19, each with paired cusped, pointed openings divided by shaft with round moulded capital, trefoil above, hood moulds and head label stops. Ornate C19 corbel table, corner battlements and squat with weather vane. Nave and north aisle, and chancel exterior walls rebuilt in 1858. Main vessel of nave visible in corner between west tower and north aisle. North aisle with plinth and single cusped west lancet with relieving arch. Single stage angle buttresses. Plinth runs round north side of aisle with 3 windows above. 2 pairs of cusped lights to west with single cusped light to east. Single stage angle buttress, and cusped east lancet. Plain chancel north wall with plinth. stage angle buttresses with shaped upper stages. Plinth runs round east end with string course that rises to run under east window of 3 lancets with hoodmould and label stops. 2 stage angle buttresses with shaped upper stages. Plinth runs round south side of chancel. 2 windows divided by 2 stage buttress with shaped upper stage. East window of 2 cusped lights with oculus, pointed hood mould and label stops. South side of nave with 2 pairs of pointed cusped lancets divided by 2 stage buttress, with single 2 stage buttress to west. Interior Cll tower arch with small round head head and heavy chamfered imposts. Plaque above arch commemorates rebuilding and restoration of the church in 1859. 2 large late C12 north arcade bays with barely pointed double chamfered arches with broaches where they spring from abaci, hood moulds, keeled responds, circular pier and bold stiff leaf capitals. C19 chancel arch with filleted, moulded head with hood mould nd ornate label stops, supported on responds of 3 clustered shafts with ornate foliated capitals. C14 north-east chapel arch with pointed arch of 2 orders dying into the imposts. C19 timber roofs over nave and chancel. C14 piscina in north chancel wall with ornate cusped hood mould with heads and finial. Cl9 east window flanked by nook shafts with hood mould and ornate label stops. C19 pews, pulpit, drum font. Altar with pink, green and blue marble reredos of 1869, with flanking, kneeling angels above. 2 C19 monuments.

Listing NGR: SK9473880800

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 94738 80800

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2014 at 08:46:25.