List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ALKMUND

List entry Number: 1063375

Location

CHURCH OF ST ALKMUND, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireWest LindseyDistrict AuthorityBlyborough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 16-Dec-1964

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 196692

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SIXTEENTH LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITECTURAL OR HISTORIC INTEREST COMPLETED UNDER SECTION 54 OF THE TOWN AND COUNTRY PLANNING ACT 1971 _________________________________________________________________ SK 99 SW BLYBOROUGH CHURCH LANE (North side)

2/1 Church of St. Alkmund

16.12 .64 I

Parish church. Early C13, mid C13, C15, C18, restored and partly rebuilt in 1877 by James Fowler. Coursed limestone and ironstone rubble. Slate roof with decorative red ridge tiles and stone coped gables with finials. West tower, nave with north aisle and south porch, chancel with north chapel. Small C18 west tower of 2stages with plinth, moulded string course and quoins. West lancet with hood mould and label stops. Keyed oculus above. String course set beneath bell openings on west, north and south sides, each a round headed opening with raised keystone. Moulded eaves above with 4 large re-used medieval corner gargoyles. Battlements above. Original wall of nave with 3 string courses visible in corner of tower and north aisle with C19 2 stage buttress to right. Plinth runs round C19 north aisle with western lancet with hood mould and single label stop. North side proper with 2 pointed windows each of 2 lights with cusped oculus above, hood mould and label stops. Windows divided by 2 stage buttress. C13 north chapel of chancel restored in C19 with steep pitched roof. 2 stage buttress to west with doorway to east with trefoiled head, round hood mould and head label stops. Pointed 2 light window to east with quatrefoil above, hood mould and medieval head label stops. East end of chapel with plinth and high string course, a large pointed window of 2 cusped lights with quatrefoil above and nook shafts, hood mould and head label stops restored in C19. C19 east window of chancel flanked by 2 stage angle buttresses, of 3 lancets with hood mould and head label stops. South side of chancel with C19 rectangular window of 3 ogee headed cusped lights with hood mould to east, and tall C15 rectangular window to west with cusped ogee headed lights. Large 2 stage buttress to west. Nave with 2 C19 pointed windows, each of 2 pointed lights with quatrefoil, hood mould and label. stops. C19 gabled south porch with single pointed lights in east and west walls, squat clasping buttresses and pointed doorway with single flanking shafts, hood mould and label stops heads. Porch interior flanked by stone benches. Moulded, pointed C19 south doorway with single flanking shafts, moulded head, hood mould and foliated label stops. Interior north aisle with 3 bay arcade of c.1300 with keeled responds, circular piers, stiff leaf capitals of various designs and double chamfered pointed arches. Double chamfered pointed chancel arch with keeled responds and plain capitals. Large double chamfered mid C13 pointed arch leading from north aisle into north-east chapel with filletted responds, abacii with beading and nail head decoration, and capitals with scored leaf designs. North wall of chancel with long ogee headed tomb recess with ornate finial. Another long ogee tomb recess with finial in north chapel. Freestanding tomb in north chapel restored in C19 with effigy of Robert Conyng, priest, died 1434, with damaged angels at pillowed head and griffin at feet. C15 octagonal font with foliated base. Part of Anglo-Saxon funerary slab with interlace decoration. Ornate marble monument on north wall of nave to John Broadby, died 1794, and his wife, Elizabeth. Several C19 monuments. C20 font, pews and pulpit. C19 brass lectern. C19 timber roofs.

Listing NGR: SK9339594552

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 93397 94556

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 09:36:03.