List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST EDMUND

List entry Number: 1063353

Location

CHURCH OF ST EDMUND, SPITAL IN THE STREET ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireWest LindseyDistrict AuthorityHemswell Cliff

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 16-Dec-1964

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 196740

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 99 SE HEMSWELL SPITAL-IN-THE- STREET ROAD (West side)

3/49 Church of 16.12.64 St. Edmund

G.V. II

Quarter sessions court house now church.C16. Coursed limestone rubble, limestone ashlar. Slate roof with stone coped gables and bell turret on east gable of square plan, base, 4 arcaded openings with four centred arches under rectangular heads and moulded cornice. Rectangular plan. Plinth. East doorway with four centred moulded arch under rectangular head, moulded jambs and plank door. Stone above inscribed:

"Fui Ao Di 1398 } Non Fui 1594 } Dom Dei et Pauperum Sum 1616 } Qui Hanc Deus Hunc Destruet."

and a smaller datestone above inscribed 'G P 1830'. Single cross mullioned chamfered window on north, west and south sides, each of 3 lights, upper lights with four centred heads and moulded cornice. Interior has panelled ceiling with ornate brackets with corbels. C18 altar rail. C19 lecturns, C20 pews. Inscription suggests that a hostel for the poor existed on this site in 1398 and 1616, however, it had temporarily fallen out of use in 1594.

Listing NGR: SK9663490038

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 96634 90038

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2014 at 06:39:25.