List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST GABRIEL

List entry Number: 1063134

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST GABRIEL, LOUTH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireEast LindseyDistrict AuthorityBinbrook

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 195263

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BINBROOK LOUTH ROAD TF 29 SW (north side) 2/11 Church of St. Mary and 9.3.67 St. Gabriel G.V. II

Parish church. 1869 by James Fowler of Louth in Early English style. Squared rockfaced ironstone ashlar with limestone ashlar dressings. Stone coped slate roofs with decorative clay ridge tiles. Western tower, nave, facetted chancel, aisles, south porch and vestry. Tower of 3 stages, has moulded parapet, stepped set back buttresses, chamfered off set to belfry stage rising to a broach spire with floriate finial, in the base of which are 2 light gabled lucarnes and small decorative gablettes at the top of the spire in the 4 principal directions. To belfry stage are paired louvred openings, trefoils over, set in moulded surrounds with angle shafts. Stair turret in south east angle. West wall has 2 light ground floor window with sexfoil and to middle stage a double chamfered lancet. The north aisle is lit by 5 paired pointed lights in the north wall and a similar light to the west, all with alternating quatrefoils and trefoils. At the east end of the nave roof is a chimney stack with moulded top. The vestry has 2 two light windows and a pointed arched door. The chancel has a trefoil arched eaves cornice with floriate pendants. Each wall contains a 2 light window with sexfoil. The south aisle matches the north with the addition of a window in the east end. All windows have concave chamfered surrounds and hoods with floriate stops. The gabled south porch has a richly moulded outer arch with paired shafted reveals with stiff leaf capitals and annular bases. To either side of the porch are C14 stone mortars with lugs. The porch has stone side benchesand single lancet side lights and an inner doorway with chamfered surround, cable moulded hood and floriate stops. Interior. The 5 bay arcades have alternating keeled and filleted octofoil piers, moulded capitals, double chamfered arches and moulded hoods with floriate label stops. Above the piers are alternating sunk quatrefoils and trefoils. The tower arch has triple responds, moulded capitals and 2 chamfered and moulded orders, hood mould and floriate label stops. The chancel arch has keeled responds, stiff leaf capitals and moulded head. At the east end of the north aisle is a pointed arch with recut C13 chamfered voussoirs and C19 keeled responds to the organ chamber. In the chancel north wall is a double chamfered archway to the organ chamber and further east a doorway and aumbry both with pointed moulded heads. In the south east wall of the chancel is an elaborate sedilia with cusped trefoil heads and crocketed gables. The moulded roof corbels are linked by a frieze of chevrons and pellets. In the chancel and tower windows is C19 stained glass by Ward and Hughes. All fittings are 1869 apart from the chancel screen of 1884. The circular ashlar pulpit is supported on low round columns and has trefoil headed blank arcading round the sides. On the north wall of the aisle is an hatchment of 1864 to Richard Bewley Caton. The font is C14 and has plain octagonal bowl now supported on C19 marble shafts and ashlar base. Originally there were 2 parishes with separate churches dedicated to St. Mary and St. Gabriel. The present building was erected on the site of the Church of St. Mary after the parishes were amalgamated.

Listing NGR: TF2117693937

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 21176 93937

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2014 at 10:44:50.