List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JULIAN

List entry Number: 1063091

Location

CHURCH OF ST JULIAN, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireEast LindseyDistrict AuthorityBenniworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Sep-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 195376

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BENNIWORTH CHURCH LANE TF 18 SW (south side) 3/1 Church of St. Julian 14.9.66 G.V. II Parish church. Mid C12, mid C13, 1769, 1812, almost entirely rebuilt 1875 by James Fowler. Coursed greenstone rubble, limestone ashlar dressings, some ironstone rubble. Slate roofs with decorative red ridge tiles, stone coped gables and cross- finials. West tower, nave with north and south transepts, chancel with north vestry. 3 stage C12 west tower heavily restored in C19, with single stage clasping buttresses with plinth. C12 west door heavily restored in C19 with flattened round head with double chevroned inner order and soffit, single order of billet and outer hollow and roll partially overlapped by rich cusping. Outer plain rectangular jambs with moulded imposts, inner double chevroned jambs. Plank doors. Slit light above with round relieving arch. Moulded string course above and below slit light above. Bell stage with bell openings on all 4 sides, each with 2 round headed, narrow lights, each with hood mould. Moulded eaves, parapet and pyramidal slate roof with weathervane. North side of nave with lancet with hood mould. North transept of 1769 mostly rebuilt in 1875, with plinth and string course. North side with central 2 stage buttress with plinth and gable, flanked by single lancets with hood moulds and vesica with hood mould above. C19 north vestry with 2 light rectangular window. East doorway with Caernarvon head and plank door. Chancel of 1769 and 1812 mostly rebuilt in 1875. 2 stage angle buttresses flank east end with string course and 3 eastern lancets, that in centre, taller, each with hood mould. South side of chancel with plinth and moulded string course. 2 stage buttress flanked by single lancets, each with hood mould. Stone set to east of buttress inscribed "GPAC 26 1812". South transept of 1769 mostly rebuilt in 1875. East side with large pilaster buttress and string course. South side of transept with plinth, string course, central 2 stage buttress with moulded plinth and gable, flanked by single lancets each with hood mould. Vesica with hood mould, above. 2 plaques with workman's names inscribed in plaster recording restoration work in 1983. South side of nave with high C12 string course with narrow, round headed light below to east. Pair of lancets break through string course to west, both with hood moulds. Porch interior with C19 round headed ironstone doorway with chamfered imposts and rectangular jambs. Plank doors. C19 2 bay arcades to north and south transepts, each with central round pier, corbelled responds and double chamfered pointed heads. Mid C13 chancel arch with pointed, double chamfered head, polygonal responds, moulded capitals, large abaci and high plinths. C19 north vestry doorway with pointed head, chamfered surround in one, filleted hood mould with ornate label stops. C19 aumbry to east. South wall with high panelled seat set into wall beneath window. C19 reredos with cusped, traceried panels, C19 altar rail. C15 screen very heavily restored in 1905 with C15 moulded wood vertical supports and horizontal rail, C19 cusped traceried panels, re-using C15 rosettes, 6 C19 statues alternating with coats of arms. C19 wood cross above central archway. C19 wagon roofs, polygonal wooden pulpit and lecturn. C12 round font with interesecting arcading, very heavily restored in C19. Dr. G. C. Tennyson, father of Alfred, Lord Tennyson, was rector 1802-31, although absentee in later years. Source: Lincoln Public Library. Ross Manuscript. Volume X Wraggoe, p.56.

Listing NGR: TF2094181786

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 20941 81786

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 05:53:53.