List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1063055

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireEast LindseyDistrict AuthoritySaltfleetby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 09-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 195489

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SALTFLEETBY ALL SAINTS CHURCH LANE TF 49 SE (north side) 6/47 Church of All Saints 9.3.67 G.V. I

Parish church, now redundant. C12, C13, C14, C15, 1611, 1873, repaired 1886 by R. J. Withers. Coursed greenstone, limestone and ironstone rubble, limestone ashlar, some red brick, some render. Lead and slate roofs with some decorative ridge tiles, stone coped gables and cross finial. West tower, nave with south aisle and south porch, chancel with south-east chapel. Late C12 west tower raised in C15 with large 5 stage diagonal buttresses of 1886 including stair turret in south-east buttress. 2 tall central west lancets, one above the other with string course above. Deeply chamfered C15 rectangular windows above on west, north and south sides with outlines of blocked C12 round headed bell openings on all 4 sides. C15 bell stage with pair of pointed openings on all 4 sides, each with bowtell moulded surround, 2 cusped, barely pointed lights, panel tracery and hood mould with central head label stop. Moulded eaves above with projecting corner gargoyles and battlements. North side of nave with plinth and fragmentary string course running to east of western-most window. Single late C15 windows flank pointed doorway with moulded surround and plank door. Outline of gable above. Large rectangular windows, each of 3 lights and transom, that to west with rich triple ogee cusping and panel tracery; that to east with cusped ogee headed lights and panel tracery. North side of chancel heavily restored in 1873 with plinth and pointed window to west of c.1300 with 2 plate traceried lancets with oculus, C19 hood mould and label stop heads and apex head. Pointed window of c.1300 to east with Y tracery and hood mould. East end with plinth, angle buttresses and large, pointed window restored in C19 with panel tracery, hood mould and large head label stops. South side of chancel with C19 rectangular window with 3 cusped, ogee head lights and hood moulds. South aisle of nave with plinth and regularly placed pilaster buttresses with broader buttresses of 1886 alongside. Pointed C15 window to east with 3 pointed, cusped lights, panel tracery, hood mould and head label stops. Small blocked rectangular opening to west set above pilaster buttress. 2 windows of c.1300 to west each with Y tracery, hood mould and head label stops. Gabled C15 porch with 2 stage angle buttresses with gabled upper stages. Pointed doorway with jambs of clustered slender shafts with delicate turned capitals, shields and flower heads in spandrels, fragmentary moulding above with inscription: 'Situs est sanctum Johis' Grantham de Moulton, Pahoni istius Ecclesiae' flanked by shields bearing emblem of Passion and crucifix. Moulded eaves to gable above with small flower head motifs. Porch interior flanked by benches and with pointed inner C14 doorway with richly moulded head and jambs in one, with hood mould, single head label stop to west and plank door. 2 pointed windows of c.1300 to west of porch, both with Y tracery, hood moulds and weathered label stops. West end of south aisle with pointed window of c.1300 with Y tracery, hood mould and head label stops and head at apex. Blocked rectangular opening above. Interior early C13 tower arch, with low, pointed, triple chamfered head and keeled responds with rich stiff-leaf capitals. South-east and north- east corners inside -tower with fragmentary springers of rib vault. 2 steps lead up into tower with large stone flags, some with illegible medieval inscriptions, 2 respond or rib sections on floor. To east of tower, 2 massive buttresses added when tower was raised in C15. North arcade of c.1200 with 4 bays plus narrower bay to west; double chamfered, pointed heads, round piers with plain moulded capitals and abaci, western respond supporting upper wall broached and moulded corbel; eastern respond with slender shaft and plain capital. Broad mid C12 chancel arch with pointed, double chamfered head, semi-circular responds and large scalloped capitals. C14 screen of 5 panels with openwork upper panels each with 2 lights and rich, cusped tracery. Lower cusped traceried panels with rosettes on cusps. Similar screen to south-east chapel, with slightly simpler tracery design. Chancel with double south arcade with 2 mid C12 bays overlapping with single C13 bay. To south, 2 narrow bays with single chamfered steeply pointed heads with hood mould, central round pier with scalloped capital, semi-circular responds with lower sections embedded in rectangular masonry and with plain moulded capital. to north, a single broad, double chamfered pointed arch blocking triangular headed C12 opening to east, with pointed corbelled responds and C19 traceried screen. Chancel with aumbry to north and piscina to south, both with triangular heads and latter with quatrefoiled well. Damaged medieval tombstone and C20 altar rail in chancel. South chapel with moulded string course with 3 small grotesque heads running under C14 carved stone reredos with central trefoil headed panel, cusped and finialled gable with ornate flanking pinnacles supported on grotesque heads. Rectangular blocked opening immediately to south, and small head corbelled shelf on south wall. C16 altar table. C19 altar rail re-using C15 poppy head finials. Fragmentary stone on window ledge inscribed with crude sun and 1731 WKFCCI. Nave and south aisle with fine C15 tie beam roofs, repaired in 1611, with cusped purlins, castellated wall plates and ornate bosses. Medieval tombstone in north-east of nave with barely legible inscription. Ornate Jacobean pulpit with richly carved panels containing round headed arches and stylised flowers and leaves. Tall early C17 pulpit presented to church by Oriel College, Oxford, with pedimented panels containing arches in perspective. Fragment of tombstone on north-west window ledge of nave with inlaid brass lettering. 3 bells, one dated 1630 and another 1675. C18 box pew. Font consisting of 3 separate moulded sections, with C13 octagonal bowl with large trefoils on each face and the filleted capitals of 8 clustered shafts replaced by cluster of C14 filleted pier mouldings, with C15 richly carved octagonal base, possibly a bowl set upside down, with panel tracery and 4 large grotesque heads. Fragments of 2 late C12 capitals on south window ledge immediately west of porch with stylised leaves and large beads. Various C18 gravestones. C16 chest.

Listing NGR: TF4552090418

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 45518 90416

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 02:57:06.