List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE MANOR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1063001

Location

THE MANOR HOUSE, WEST STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireEast LindseyDistrict AuthorityAlford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 195570

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ALFORD WEST STREET TF 4476-4576 (north west side) 5/47 The Manor House 20-5-53

II*

House, now museum and offices. Mid C16, cased in brick in C17, altered C18 with C19 additions and C20 alterations. Originally timber frame with mud walls, now red brick, with thatched roof having raised brick coped gables with kneelers, 2 ridge and single wall stacks. 2 storey with garrets, 7 bay front arranged 2:3:2, the outer pairs being advanced and gabled. First floor and gable bands. The original door position was to left of the now central C20 double panelled doors with C20 wooden pedimented doorcase, flanked by 3 glazing bar sashes. The inner sashes have C20 flat brick heads, the outer pair have segmental brick heads. To first floor are 7 similar windows, the outer pairs are in the blocking of earlier larger openings. To gables are single glazing bar sashes, also occupying larger earlier openings. To the left of the central first floor window is a Fire Company plaque. At the right hand side and the rear are lower C19 additions. Interior retains substantial bay posts on steddlestone blocks with deeply moulded beams with run out stops supported on jowled posts. There are 3 large brick fireplaces with moulded bressumers. The staircase is early C19 with plain balusters. In a first floor room is a good early C18 bolection moulded fireplace and some wattle and daub partitions remain. The original clasped purlin roof has been substantially altered in the 1969 restoration. In 1661 the house became the home of Sir Robert Christopher whose tomb is in the church.

Listing NGR: TF4537176045

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 45371 76045

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 03:30:44.