List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1062991

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, LOUTH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireEast LindseyDistrict AuthorityTheddlethorpe All Saints

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 09-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 195646

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 48 NE THEDDLETHORPE LOUTH ROAD ALL SAINTS 2/43 Church of All Saints 9.3.67 I Parish church. C12, c.1380-1400, late C17, 1865-66 minor repairs. Squared greenstone rubble, coursed limestone rubble, limestone dressings, C17 brick patching, lead roofs. Western tower, nave with clerestory, aisles, south porch, chancel. The 4 stage tower is of squared greenstone rubble with a substantial amount of brick patching, it has chamfered string courses, stepped corner buttresses, battlemented parapet with corner gargoyles and unusual lead covered central crocketted pinnacle. To the belfry stage are 3 light louvred openings with panelled tracery. On the south and west sides are small ogee headed lights to the third stage. The west door has a continuously moulded surround, hood and human head stops. Above is a 4 light window, cusped ogee heads, panel tracery and moulded surround. All windows are of a similar design. The north aisle has a battlemented parapet with large gargoyles and corbels, it has a 2 light west window, 4 three light side windows, a continuously moulded doorway and an east window of 3 lights. The clerestory with battlemented and pinnacled parapet and gargoyles has 5 two light windows. In the chancel north wall is a bricked up 3 light window. The chancel east window of 3 lights is in an original moulded surround with C19 tracery. In the south wall is a C19 2 light window, and an original one of 3 lights. Beneath is a continuously moulded priest's doorway. The east nave parapet has quatrefoil piercings and crockets. The south aisle east wall has a crocketed parapet and corner pinnacles. In the south wall which is partly limestone rubble are 2 windows of 3 lights and one of 4, the easterly pair having cambered heads. The west window is of 3 lights. The gabled south porch has a continuously moulded outer arch, side benches, and low pitched lead roof. The inner door is continuously moulded but with striking ogee head. The rear arch is rounded. Interior. North and south nave arcades are of 5 bays with octagonal piers and responds and double chamfered arches. In the north wall of the nave are incorporated many fragments of C12 chevron and beakhead voussoirs. The double chamfered tower arch is continuously moulded, with above the scar of an earlier nave roof. Concave moulded octagonal chancel arch. The restored nave roof incorporates the moulded principals of the original with coats of arms of the donors and fleurons, and is of arch braced queen post construction. Both aisle roofs match the nave and are substantially intact. In the east wall of the south aisle is a medieval altar slab with consecretaion crosses above which is a stone reredos. This consists of a moulded stone frame with quatrefoils, fleurons and human heads, cusped triangular top surmounted by a crocketed pinnacle flanked by lower pinnacles. Fragments of post medieval texts can be seen on the north wall of the north and south aisles. The north aisle has a further medieval altar stone, a statue bracket, and a door to the rood loft. In the chancel is a blocked window on the north side and on the south side is a triple sedilia supported on apparently reused C12 shafts, with beyond a piscina. In the east wall are 2 human head statue brackets. In the south aisle window are some fragments of C15 glass. Fittings. In the chancel fine early C18 turned altar rails, and a delicate marble altar table with turned legs presented to the church in 1717. The C15 chancel screen of 7 bays enriched with panelled tracery to the upper parts and in the bases of the bays. The upper part of the screen consists of an early C18 marbelled cornice. To either side are parclose screens of 1535, the upper parts of the panels have finely wrought pierced Renaissance carvings of coats of arms, grotesques and human heads. The pulpit and lectern are C19. The pews have C16 poppy head ends and the rear pews have contemporary brattished back rails and blank ogee tracery. At the rear of the church is a late C17 richly carved oak pulpit removed from Skidbrooke Church. The font is C15, octagonal with quatrefoils, fleurons and human heads, having C18 openwork wooden cover. On the west wall of the nave a section of lead from the roof bears 2 graffiti of 2 C18 Ships of the Line. At the west end is preserved the C15 wooden pinnacle from the tower roof. Monuments. In the south aisle chapel is a brass to Sir Robert Hayton who died 1424 showing the deceased in plate armour with feet resting on a lion. Nearby is the matrix for a double brass of which only one brass shield remains. In the chancel are 2 early C18 marble wall plaques to members of the Newcomen family with cartouches, arms and scrolls. A fine marble monument to Hon. Charles Bertie and his wife Mary d. 1727, with sarcophagus, obelisk and portrait busts beneath an open pediment supporting a cartouche of arms, made by Andrew Carpenter, London. Beyond is an early C19 monument in the Greek Taste.

Listing NGR: TF4636588207

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 46366 88208

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 03:41:49.