List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST. OSWALD

List entry Number: 1062988

Location

CHURCH OF ST. OSWALD, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireEast LindseyDistrict AuthorityStrubby with Woodthorpe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 195640

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 48 SE STRUBBY WITH WOODTHORPE CHURCH LANE (east side) 5/36 Church of 9.3.67 St. Oswald G.V. II* Parish church. c.1300, C15, 1857 by Maughan and Fowler with chancel of 1874 by Ewan Christian. Red brick and banded greenstone, ashlar dressings, with plain and decorative tiled roofs. Nave with western bellcote, south aisle and porch, chancel, vestry. All windows have cusped ogee heads, panel tracery and chamfered surrounds with hoods. In the west wall of the south aisle is a 2 light window and in the nave one of 3 lights. Openwork timber bellcote with facetted copper spirelet. In the north wall are 4 two light windows and in the gabled vestry a lancet. The east chancel window is 3 lights with reticulated tracery. In the south wall is a 2 light window and a further c.1300 2 light window with cinquefoil in the east wall of the south aisle. In the aisle south wall are 3 three light windows with triangular heads. The gabled south porch has a pointed outer arch and a continuously moulded and hooded inner doorway. Interior. The C15 4 bay south arcade has octagonal piers and double chamfered arches. The chancel arch is C19. All fittings are C19 but the octagonal font is C15 with panels of trqacery patterns. Monuments. In the chancel is an early C14 headless effigy of a civilian, under a nodding ogee arch. In the nave is a small tablet to William Ballett d.1648 aged 99, of Woodthorpe Hall. He and his 2 wives are depicted in Elizabethan dress, kneeling opposite each other across a prayer desk. Above the parents against the back wall of the tablet are the figures of his children.

Listing NGR: TF4527482576

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 45274 82576

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2014 at 02:14:09.